Yamanote Action

bill937ca

Can someone tell me which station are the 1st and 2nd video taken?

Shinbashi, two stops south of Tokyo.  Could be wrong, I don't know the area well, but I think so.

Nice videos.

Perhaps I have signals on the brain this weekend, but in the third video I couldn't help noticing that the signal only took 13 seconds to go from red to yellow-yellow after the rear of the train passed it.  A bit of quick math and a guess at the speed says that the block protected by the signal is barely longer than the train (about 230m if the train was going 65 kph).

I wonder if that's true of urban signal blocks in general, to maximize capacity, or if it's just the one immediately outside the station, so all trains to get away from the platform as quickly as possible.

bikkuri bahn
Perhaps I have signals on the brain this weekend, but in the third video I couldn't help noticing that the signal only took 13 seconds to go from red to yellow-yellow after the rear of the train passed it.  A bit of quick math and a guess at the speed says that the block protected by the signal is barely longer than the train (about 230m if the train was going 65 kph).

I wonder if that's true of urban signal blocks in general, to maximize capacity, or if it's just the one immediately outside the station, so all trains to get away from the platform as quickly as possible.

Yes, I think that kind of signal block is common on lines such as this, the Tokaido Line, which can get very busy in the peak hours- so as you say these arrangments allow increased capacity.  The double yellow aspect allows a train to advance, up to a max. speed of 25 km/h, and prepared to stop.  As you probably know, the neighboring Keihin Tohoku and Yamanote Lines are D-ATC equipped and use cab signalling, which allows even greater capacity.