Recent Micro Ace KOKI sets

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

For those that enjoy Japanese freight, I've written up a review of two recent Micro Ace releases on my blog. Here's a tease:

Several weeks ago, I received two eagerly anticipated releases from Micro Ace: A3251, which consists of two KOKI 106 container cars, each loaded with two U47A “Eco Liner 31? 31? ISO containers; and A3252, which consists of one KOKI 50000 and one KOKI 106 container car, each loaded with three UF15A “JOT Cool-25ºC” 12? domestic refrigerated containers. Overall, I like these sets, but not without reservations.

Micro Ace A3252 is an interesting set. This set comes with KOKI 51716 (?? 51716) and KOKI 106-957 (?? 106-957), and six individually number UF15A containers. These containers have been manufactured by others (by Platz, I think), but I do not own any to compare them with. I wish I could find more information on the UF15A: At the top of these is a warning not to load more than three onto any container car. I am unable to tell why—hints and suggestions welcome! The quality of the containers compares well to other 12? containers by Tomix and Kato (more on this below).

The KOKI 106, in an interesting twist, has working end-of-train lights on one end. A bright LED illuminates two tiny little red pinpoints that really stand out in the dark. The electronics are all hidden under one of the containers, and the only thing giving it away are the pickup springs in the trucks, which are just visible.

Secondly, Micro Ace A3251 has two KOKI 106 (?? 106), nos. -210 and -216, and four “Eco Liner 31? 31? maritime containers. This set doesn’t have any gimmicks, no fancy lighting or the like. The draw of this set is the popular Eco Liner containers, which until recently were not otherwise available in n-guage (Tomytec now offers one as part of the Truck Collection vol. 4—It will be interested to compare quality).

Martijn Meerts

I have both these sets as well, received them about 1.5 week ago ;) Didn't know about the red lights on the KOKI 106 though, should pay more attention =)

I also have the truck collection 4, which came in the same package as the container cars, I'll have to go through them and find the truck with the Eco Liner container.