Kato C57 dissapointment and suggestions wanted

kmcsjr

Folks,

I'm just running 1 Unitrak loop these days. On that loop assorted US models, Trix DB steam, Kato Mikados, Micro Ace electricsall run great.

I have a Kato C57 that is pretty herky jerky. It hesitates and eventually stalls pulling 5 Kato passenger cars.

1) Should it run as well as a Kato Mike, or are some smaller Kato Steamers a little less reliable

2) anything special I want to know about tuning a C57?

3) Are there any particular Kato steamers that are better than others

4) It looks really delicate. Dare I take it apart for cleaning (I've had other steamers apart to varying degrees)

Thanks

Marty

Martijn Meerts

I have a Kato C57-180, which runs quite well. It's not the new model that comes in the set with 3 cars, but a seperate loco. I also have the fitting 7-car set, and the loco has no problems pulling it at all.

My version does come apart nicely, I managed to install a decoder into it. I have noticed though that it's started squeaking recently, but that'll probably be solved with a little well places oil and/or grease.

I don't have many Kato steamers, I prefer MicroAce steamers, but the ones I do have run fine. I have heard various times before though, that Kato steamers with no visible motor actually run bad.

For some reason a lot of Kato steam engines get almost all their pickup from the tender - the powered wheels are next to useless in collecting those electrons. Old Mikado's where like that, and I have several of the latest 9600 batch that all work that way.

angusmclean

I haven't experienced a problem yet with Microace squeaking, but a couple of my Kato locos appreciated the tiniest drop of machine oil on the end of a small pin, applied to the motion and main rod holes. Important to soak up excess oil and be careful not to over-oil!  This treatment eliminated the sqeaking, and allowed a noticeably better running loco.

Angus