Kiha 40 kakiiro (JNR orange) on train 2429D

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Finally someone has posted a video of two of the newly painted JR Hokkaido kiha 40 units.  This is the long distance Takikawa-Kushiro local 2429D, which holds the current record as the longest local service in terms of time (~8 hrs. point to point).  This service will use these color units on every second and fourth Saturday of the month.  Video taken at Higashi-Takikawa Station on a windy, wet day.

• Like 1

You're saying that 2429D is a 8-hour haul by some KiHa40s and it's possible to get from Takikawa to Kushiro on a single seat?  I'm a big fan of this particular DMU, but my ass hurts just thinking about that.  OUCH.

Also, I posted some negative comments about JRW's new single color idea, particularly in the western part of their territory where the color is like school bus yellow, but for some reason I find this old JNR livery much more acceptable.  Maybe it's because I'd seen some KiHa40s out of Yonago looking like this, regardless it's way more palatable.

Guest ___

Finally someone has posted a video of two of the newly painted JR Hokkaido kiha 40 units.  This is the long distance Takikawa-Kushiro local 2429D, which holds the current record as the longest local service in terms of time (~8 hrs. point to point).  This service will use these color units on every second and fourth Saturday of the month.  Video taken at Higashi-Takikawa Station on a windy, wet day.

I love the 40's no matter what colour they are. Riding them in Miyazaki, there was just a certain feel to them. IDK if was the sound of their motors, or just the single sliding doors or the way they rode or what...

bikkuri bahn
I'm a big fan of this particular DMU, but my ass hurts just thinking about that.  OUCH.

The suspensions on these units are pretty good, so the ride is reasonably smooth.  I find the seats tolerable on the long journey, helped by the fact that usually you can stretch out your legs on the opposite seat, and some of the station stops are lengthy, allowing some getting out and leg stretching. I think the bigger problem would be possible boredom, especially on the final stretch from Onbetsu to Kushiro.

if was the sound of their motors, or just the single sliding doors or the way they rode or what...

Yeah, I like these units too- very workhorse, no nonsense, if a bit underpowered.