Tall Ship for Harbor Scene

That is a beautiful ship but how small are the parts.

Would there be a problem with the bottom of the ship not being flat to rest on a simulated water scene?

That is a beautiful ship but how small are the parts.

Would there be a problem with the bottom of the ship not being flat to rest on a simulated water scene?

they are small, but not that bad, many of the sailing ship models are around this scale and the bigger ships even smaller scale so smaller detail parts. with ship models like this its all about the deck parts/details usually. with sailing ship models its all in the final finishing and rigging that really sets them off! i use to build them when i was a kid and i was amazed some of my best looking models where cheaper ones that i just took a lot of time and rigged very well and added a few extra detail parts to. i made sails for one of my ships and that was not easy! a couple of the kits i had had full cloth sails (the expensive ones!) this kit does not look all that fab for $125 list kit, but maybe these have gone way up in price as i have not been in to the ship models for like 25 years now, but for $125 i would expect a bit more than i saw there in the hs pictures.

this is a full hull model, some full hull models have a mark on the inside of the hull for the water line in case you want to trim it down to a water line model or you can just put it in a stand and scribe your own water line and hack away. alternative is to just cut a hole in your harbor and mount the vessel and then pour the water up to it. if you really wanted you could put mould release on the hull and then pop it out after your water is poured if you dont want it fixed in place!

thinking of adding one to your river? your river looks perfect for some green max or tomytec fishing boats pulled up on shore! have you sen the green max skiff kits? they re about 20' open skiffs. perfect for a small water scene. greenmax 48-4 (2 skiffs for like $5)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10007650

cheers

jeff

Jeff - Thanks the skiffs look nice and at a good price. As I've said in the past, my river scene looks like there's been a ban on water travel on it with the lack of boats.  :grin

That's a cool model.

Every year here in Victoria they have what they call a Tall Ships festival.

Here's a couple of photos from last year in the Victoria Harbor.

3042673797_68735050ca_b.jpg

3042673791_1efc7c0bc7_b.jpg

3042673801_6574f02e77_b.jpg

3042673777_e4afd01495_b.jpg

Anyways that would be a cool model in a harbor scene. Even a modern city harbor

Martijn Meerts

I have the Nippon Maru kit, also by Aoshima. Haven't started building it yet, but it seems like it has good detail. The most interesting bit is that it has a very detailed guide for all the rigging that needs to be done, and there's a LOT of it ;)

I'm planning on doing a smaller version of the actual Nippon Maru museum, in about 100 years when I can finally start working on some things ;)

Would you find a boat like that in Japan?  Paddle wheelers were found on sheltered inland waterways and Japan has very un-sheltered seas.

No you would only find it somewhere in a protected place as a tourist attraction. AFAIK there are none, it was just one of those fantasy ideas that you could see happening in japan (this is the place with Tobu rr's 1/25 scale world!)

cheers

jeff

then you could have a steam paddle wheeler as well! dont think there are any in japan, but would not surprise me if a pho one was built as a tourist attraction!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330446325990&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_5339wt_966

cheers

jeff

model railroading can include fantasy, call it freelance...

Historically, I dont think it's a stretch. Japan has Biwa ko , and some navigable rivers.

Miyazaki used a river boat like that in the animated film Spirited Away

http://media.animegalleries.net/albums/userpics/38549/ship.jpg

which is of course a fantasy, but Miyazaki is very particular about trains, boats, cars and such.

btw: $100 is too much for that Robt E Lee kit.  Mega Hobby has it for $50

http://www.megahobby.com/roberteleemississippisteamboat1-163lindberg.aspx

yeah, would not put it out of the realm of possibility for japan at all! theres the pirate ship at Hikone!

i thought that was a steep price but didnt go look to see if it was at a more reasonable price elsewhere or OOP. just for the concept!

i have some little japanese castle models at 1/3200 that i plan to use in a little scene for a theme park with 1/25 scale castles on display in a garden like setting with the crowds walking all around them. hard thing will be integrating some hidden randomly flashing leds to simulate lots of photos being taken. this will be the more calm counter balance to the 1/12 scale Godzilla land park!