EF65535 Preservation association

489-YOMPAQ

EF65-535 is not so special, but this site says #535 has originality of EF65-500(P type) while Japanese high economic growth period and blue train boom (in1970's). I agree it's the symbol of them. And there aren't already most of EF65-500. So #535 is valuable EF65.

「・日本の高度経済成長を支え、ブルートレインブームを巻き起こした、EF65P型を保存する。その中でも、当時の面影を色濃く残しているEF65-535 を、公的な施設で、保存する。」

bikkuri bahn
Most of (non railroad fan) Japanese don't think it's important to preserve old trains in Japan as industry heritage(?)

Yes, I think that's true, and not only for railways, but other so-called "smokestack industries".  But awareness is rising about preserving old buildings, factories, and equipment- I think this started around the end of the bubble era, when people realized that there was more to life than the latest gadget or new technology, and has accelerated with the recent "Showa Era Boom".  Also, many economically depressed towns and cities in rural areas (chihou) have turned their old buildings and industry sites into museums or historical sites.  One city which I believe lost out in cashing in on the Showa Boom was Yubari here in Hokkaido- they tried to go the theme park route and failed (and went bankrupt), when they should have gone more small scale and emphasized their coal mining heritage more by preserving wooden structures and mining facilities, as well as running a preserved railway-possibly with steam??

As for preserving old trains, one problem in Japan is the high cost of storage and finding space for these rolling stocks.  But certainly this is cheaper than building meaningless bridges, theme parks or oversized museums about who-knows-what that people visit only once, things many municipalities have indulged in.  On the other hand, a good railway museum will draw many repeat visitors- witness the Railway Museum in Saitama, which is always packed.

As for preserving old trains, one problem in Japan is the high cost of storage and finding space for these rolling stocks.  But certainly this is cheaper than building meaningless bridges, theme parks or oversized museums about who-knows-what that people visit only once, things many municipalities have indulged in.  On the other hand, a good railway museum will draw many repeat visitors- witness the Railway Museum in Saitama, which is always packed.

I don't think this is such a good comparison, as Saitama is relatively close to large agglomerations, or even a large agglomeration in itself. Next to that it's easy to access, whereas Yubari is, well... In the middle of nowhere. But you're right on the mistake of making a theme-park, rather then a museum glorifying the miners-era. Steam runs would have most certainly attracted more visitors to the area, especially if they were run with 9600s and D51s (which ran in great numbers in that area).

bikkuri bahn

Yes, Yubari is remote, but I still believe a good railway museum will draw visitors no matter where it is located, if it provides a good experience (driving a steam train, for example) and value for money, in connection with other attractions.  In Hokkaido, many people come from Honshu (and increasingly from China) to experience that remoteness and natural setting unique to this island.  And there are museums with good access and location, but have few visitors, once again content is key.