国鉄D57-1号 蒸気機関車 Pure emotions!

Kabutoni

A 2007 documentary on the D57-1 running the Yamabiko (Echo) SL express, as told by herself. It's easy to understand with some basic Japanese and it has a great feature on railfans and safety in the third part.

I'm not a big steam fan, but everytime the whistle blew, it gave me goosebumps. I guess that's the sign of spring. The sign of the start of another steam-train season! The smell of burned coal, the sound of heavy machinery and all those other wonderful emotions that come with steam traction. It's the feeling all of us know all too well...

1/3

2/3

3/3

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Makes me wish more countries (closer to The Netherlands ;)) would actively run steam trains. It's just a completely different feel from other train travel.

Oh, that's so true. In Gemany one really has to go on a search for steam train run trains. The only ones nearby are maybe the Brohtalbahn between Remagen and Koblenz (about 2,5 hrs from the Dutch border) and the railway museum in Bochum. That's about it what I know by head... In the Netherlands there is really a high-density of steam powered railway museums. I might visit some again with some friends in summer :9

Nick_Burman

The whistle used by the JNR "standard" locos (a copy of a Nathan design) is one of the most beautifully sounding steam locomotive whistles in the world. It is hard not to be moved by such a noise...

Cheers NB

Makes me wish more countries (closer to The Netherlands ;)) would actively run steam trains. It's just a completely different feel from other train travel.

I know it's a bit far from the Netherlands, but Queensland Rail over the next few weeks are running steam hauled suburban trains around Brisbane training new drivers to run the steam heritage fleet.

• Like 1

Oh, that's so true. In Gemany one really has to go on a search for steam train run trains. The only ones nearby are maybe the Brohtalbahn between Remagen and Koblenz (about 2,5 hrs from the Dutch border) and the railway museum in Bochum. That's about it what I know by head... In the Netherlands there is really a high-density of steam powered railway museums. I might visit some again with some friends in summer :9

I visited Bochum and the Brohtalbahn in 2008, I rode behind steam from Bochum to Hagen and back but the Brohtalbahn wasn't running steam at the time, it was still an interesting run behind a diesel though. Hopefully by the end of next week I can post some photos of my trip to the Bebra steam festival.

Damn! All this talking made the urge to steam only bigger! I think I'll visit the ZLSM (Southern Limburg Steam Train Co.) this sunday! :grin

The ZLSM looks interesting - their locos appear to be a long way from home, however!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

I know it's a bit far from the Netherlands, but Queensland Rail over the next few weeks are running steam hauled suburban trains around Brisbane training new drivers to run the steam heritage fleet.

Sure made me wish I worked for QR when I heard about that. A mate of mine sent me this photo of BB18 1/4 No.1089 on one of these training trains.

4547405329_d65b163250_o.jpg

But here in backward NSW we make do with what we have, which isn't much. I'm booked to do a trip on this engine next weekend.

4547404583_0e43e03798_o.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
...The smell of burned coal, the sound of heavy machinery and all those other wonderful emotions that come with steam traction. It's the feeling all of us know all too well...

For me, some other feelings come with steam, not all of them entirely positive. Early morning starts, late night finishes, not enough sleep, missed meals, not enough to eat, and feeling hot, sweaty, dirty and gritty.  :grin

As enjoyable as steam locos are to watch, photograph and ride behind, never forget that the people running them have worked long and hard to make it happen. Give them a wave and a smile, and thank them for their efforts if you can. It means a lot.

All the best,

Mark.

Thanks for posting the photo and video Mark, I was working the three mornings they ran last week and didn't get any shots myself although I did pass them in my own train a couple of times each day. Unfortunately I've exceeded my monthly downloads and my internet has slowed down and will take a couple of hours to download the video so I'll have to watch it later, I'll have to see if I can spot who is firing.

For those who came in late the steam drivers and firemen are all regular Citytrain drivers and these training runs are for men qualified as fireman moving up to driver. I'll be watching to see if they call for more to act as firemen to replace them.

A rather nice video of the QR crew training train. Watching this, I reckon that the bloke firing this engine is a very skilled engineman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43sd52kOFW8

Cheers,

Mark.

I went to high school with the bloke standing on the footplate at 3:40. :grin

To get the thread back on topic here's me steaming toward Tsuwano behind (literally) C57 1 in June 1990.