300 Series Shinkansen

bill937ca

Really like this video. Beautiful landscape and shows the power and speed of the 300 Series. Some of the scenes would make for a nice diorama.

Although Series 500 must be one of the sweetest railroad creation ever, I must say Series 300 is my favorite. I can't say why, but I'm in love with this train!

bikkuri bahn

Any ideas/speculation of what kind of camera equipment was used?  I don't shoot video, so I have no real sense of what specs. produce what level of quality.

Any ideas/speculation of what kind of camera equipment was used?  I don't shoot video, so I have no real sense of what specs. produce what level of quality.

im guessing a decent HD video camera, but the quality is so high on many of the HD cameras these days it could even be shot with a sub $1k camera! Ive been amazed at how the prices have dropped for great equipment in the last couple of years!

big thing on these shots was they spent a lot of time getting the framing and scene just right and kept things clean. that yields a great looking shot even with not so hot equipment. as soon as you start moving the camera the image goes down as well as not a nicely framed and composed scene that again will look better even on cheaper equipment.

cheers

jeff

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

Thanks Jeff.  I have a Nikon D90, use it only for still photography, but thinking of playing around with the video feature.  Not expecting much, no AF and whatnot, but think it may be worthwhile on some more wide angle scenes similar to those above.

Martijn Meerts

It's also nice and sunny, so good light conditions and thus image quality will be high even for cheap camera's.

In low light, the cheap camera's tend to be terrible.

Thanks Jeff.  I have a Nikon D90, use it only for still photography, but thinking of playing around with the video feature.  Not expecting much, no AF and whatnot, but think it may be worthwhile on some more wide angle scenes similar to those above.

yep the slrs are starting to muscle in on the video cameras some! it is only single chip, bit thing higher quality video cameras have is 3 chips for better color, but still i have some professional video friends that are really taking notice of what some of the slrs can do! great for the odd situation where you need odder lenses that can get expensive or not available for some video cameras.

best advice is to play, play, play! Martijn is right, a nice bright scene with good contrast in the scenes will really pop well, low contrast, low light starts to fall apart fast!

cheers

jeff

bikkuri bahn

The 300 type caused a bit of a sensation when they were first introduced, as it ushered in the new Nozomi services, as well as having a shape completely different from previous shinkansen designs, in moving way from the "bullet" context to a more low-slung, wedgy look:

• Like 1

yep the slrs are starting to muscle in on the video cameras some! it is only single chip, bit thing higher quality video cameras have is 3 chips for better color, but still i have some professional video friends that are really taking notice of what some of the slrs can do! great for the odd situation where you need odder lenses that can get expensive or not available for some video cameras.

best advice is to play, play, play! Martijn is right, a nice bright scene with good contrast in the scenes will really pop well, low contrast, low light starts to fall apart fast!

cheers

jeff

It's unlikely the HDSLR's will make a dent in camcorder sales due to awkward handling and for the fact that the video mode is integrated in a mirror-system. AF works very poorly in LiveView SLR cameras as the AF is coupled to contrast detect mode. And with Nikon it is further complicated by Nikon using Motion JPEG as it's preferred video capture mode.

The 300 type caused a bit of a sensation when they were first introduced, as it ushered in the new Nozomi services, as well as having a shape completely different from previous shinkansen designs, in moving way from the "bullet" context to a more low-slung, wedgy look:

I liked how the entire video reflected Showa-era design, clothing, and reflected back to the beginning days of the Shinkansen.