400 Series Shinkansen Last Run

bill937ca

I just read the Wikipedia entry for the 400 Series and it first went into production in 1992.....in comparison, the trains I take on the LIRR were first put into service back in the 70s (and some of the cars still are running on that line) So even though I like the E3 series, for me a train that only 18 years old is relatively new.

I'm glad I had a chance to ride one of these about 7 years ago. They are quite interesting, but I didn't really have the chance to enjoy the ride itself, as I was talking with a random fellow passenger who wanted to practice his English skills and have a good chat. Also a nice experience in itself.

All in all, I like the design of the E3 a bit better. Still a shame it had to depart relatively soon.

I am just curious why are they called mini-shinkansen?

Japan has two main sets of rails: The narrow gauge that was originally built, and the standard gauge used for the Shinkansen. Now the wider tracks are not the only difference between the two: the Shinkansen also use much wider curves, a different loading gauge (the box the train must fit through for tunnels/obstacles on curves/platforms) and various other higher standards to allow for high-speed operation, compared to the more cost oriented narrow gauge lines.

The Mini-Shinkansen idea involves taking some of the less twisty/crazy narrow gauge lines and converting them to standard gauge or dual gauge so that a train could travel directly from point A to point B, instead of passengers having to get off and switch to a different train. However the converted lines still have the same loading gauge, requiring the Mini-Shinkansen: Basically a shorter (20m), narrower Shinkansen train that runs at regular speed on the converted line (just like an express train), and at high speed on the Shinkansen line. The narrower size also means the Mini-Shinkansen have little plate things that extend to bridge the larger gap between the Shinkansen platforms and the Mini-Shinkansen doors.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Nice memory of riding this type back in the mid-nineties.  I used JR East's Otoshidama Free Kippu which allows unlimited rides (including shinkansen) on New Year's Day, to do an out and back day trip from Yokohama to Tohoku.  On the Ou Main Line section between Fukushima and Yamagata, I saw a Japanese monkey scurrying away from the train into the woods.

It's food for thought when trains you rode when they were new are being retired. IMHO the 400 is a nice looking train, I have a Tomix set I bought in 1994 in the original six car formation that couples with a 200 series, both now gone. It will be interesting to explain to the public at model train shows that such a modern looking train is retired.

I notice in the second video that the extensions beneath the doors are extended even on the side opposite the platform, you can see them retract as the train departs. And look at that big ugly thing coupled behind the 400. :cheesy

Here's a couple of 1994 shots from the archive.

post-218-13569924534076_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924534428_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's a shame when you compare it to the fact of how many 103 class trains still run daily as I personally liked the 400's.

Part of the difference is that there were 3,447 Series 103 cars were built between 1963 and 1984 and only 12 Mini-Shinkansen 400 Series sets were built between 1992 and 1995.

It's a shame when you compare it to the fact of how many 103 class trains still run daily as I personally liked the 400's.

Part of the difference is that there were 3,447 Series 103 cars were built between 1963 and 1984 and only 12 Mini-Shinkansen 400 Series sets were built between 1992 and 1995.

And the 103's don't have the stress of high speed running.

It was just a random analogy, as it had been pointed out in several other thread pertaining to newer cars being scrapped rather than sent to refurb as with the N'ex 283 discussion., or the fact that the 200's which are much older than the 400's are still in service.

bikkuri bahn

I think another strike against the 400 series, compared with say, the 200 series, is that it is less versatile (namely less passenger capacity) so it makes little sense to cascade it to other services.

alpineaustralia
I always liked the lines of the 400 better than the E3. Ah, well.

Funny that. I am the exact opposite. I have never felt the desire to have the 400 as part of my fleet.

We had a running day at the club on the 18th, if I'd thought about it sooner I could have taken my 400 and had a commemorative last run.