Tomytec Tree Kits -HelpPlease

OK compared to some trees on here they are very basic, but that is the level of my skills.

What do people use to stick the basic tree structures together?

I have a set of the Cherry trees that I am building and cannot get the branches to stay in place.

Have tried UHU, polystyreene cement and also Superglue, not all at the same time I might add, but the pesky add on branches just fall off as I go to put the foliage on..

I am finding it very fustrating at the moment because I have a further 3 sets of these trees in transit from Japan.

I can make brass or Nickel silver models, even wooden kits and am looking forward to building my Sankei kits when they arrive,but these have got me beat at the moment.

Krackel Hopper

The handful of Tomytec trees I've put together I have used super glue on. 

I prefer using the gel type superglue to the liquid for things like this. 

Me and liquid superglue only work well together on flat surfaces.

keiman, just to check: Did you wash the trunk and branches with soap?

No.  have only tried the one tree so far.

CaptOblivious

keiman, just to check: Did you wash the trunk and branches with soap?

No.  have only tried the one tree so far.

Might be some mold-release agent on there (greasy stuff). Indeed, any sort of grease or oil will make gluing really difficult. Try washing them in a touch of some liquid dish soap, and letting them air-dry thoroughly, then try again with some super glue.

Styrene cement probably won't work, as I'm willing to bet the plastic they use is ABS.

Might be some mold-release agent on there (greasy stuff). Indeed, any sort of grease or oil will make gluing really difficult. Try washing them in a touch of some liquid dish soap, and letting them air-dry thoroughly, then try again with some super glue.

Thanks, had forgotten about mould release agents- will put the bits in the Ultrasonic Cleaner.

In addition to everything mentioned above, the tree parts are painted.  I took the time to scrape the paint off of the nipple of the branch that gets inserted in the trunk and scrape out the hole that it goes into.

I also use the thicker superglue for these.  Actually, the only thing I've found that the thin glue is good for is gluing my fingers together!

Gave up one the one set of Cherry trees and have binned them.

Got on fine with the Larch,Giant Cedar, and am currently getting ready to put the foliage on a set of the Bamboo.

Have also got a set of Sunflowers to build (96 flower heads)- 8 blocks of 12.These are the Busch ones .

Ok here's the trick with these bad puppies. I pay my model man to do them for me. There is no real trick to them. But I use Woodland Scenics tacky glue to attach the leaves to the trees but the problem is that the trees shed foliage. So to counter this, after a day i use an eye dropper and apply scenic cement to the leaves as it dries clear and the leaves won't fall off. thin kthe sakura are tough, try the bamboo. I'm thirty trees in on the sakura and they're the easy ones, IMHO.

Ok here's the trick with these bad puppies. I pay my model man to do them for me. There is no real trick to them. But I use Woodland Scenics tacky glue to attach the leaves to the trees but the problem is that the trees shed foliage. So to counter this, after a day i use an eye dropper and apply scenic cement to the leaves as it dries clear and the leaves won't fall off. thin kthe sakura are tough, try the bamboo. I'm thirty trees in on the sakura and they're the easy ones, IMHO.

No problems at all with the foliage, was just the Cherry Trunks.

No problems at all with the foliage, was just the Cherry Trunks.

Never had any problems with that.