Long time no see ; a very glossy special

disturbman

Or this one that reveals its strange horn combination of a traditional whistle and a commuter-style electronic horn at about 0:25.

Go! Go! Nagomi!

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Is this one used for a particular service, or just for "joyful train" rentals?

It's the Imperial Train ;)

CaptOblivious

Apparenatly, it can be chartered...sans the Imperial coach. When it is used in Imperial capacity, it has the Japanese flags on the nose. So the videos above are of charters.

There's a special station platform for the Emperor's use just north of  the Yamanote line's Harajuku station, located on the Yamanote Freight Line tracks.  But, if I'm reading the Japanese Wikipedia entry correctly (machine translated), the present Emperor prefers to use the Shinkansen, so the Imperial train has seen less use of late.

Since Harajuku isn't near the Imperial residence, I'm guessing he boards both trains (this one or Shinkansen) at Tokyo station. But I've never seen a reference to a special platform for Imperial use.  Perhaps they just cordon off one of the normal ones; Tokyo Station has a few they can spare, I'm sure.  :grin

I've seen some information that indicates the train is used (without the Imperial car) as a "Joyful train", but it wasn't clear if it was generally charterable, or if it was only used for visiting dignitaries who needed special security (or for related P.R. purposes). There was a mention somewhere of it's use for "state visits", but I can't remember where I read that.

Good thing--the emperor never returns my calls.

Last time I was in Tokyo I visited the imperial palace but he was out. I guess he didn't know I was coming.

If I win lotto between now and August I might look into hiring it for a day, I'm sure it would be available if you waved enough yen in front of JR East.

bikkuri bahn
When it is used in Imperial capacity, it has the Japanese flags on the nose. So the videos above are of charters.

There was a mention somewhere of it's use for "state visits", but I can't remember where I read that.

This unit was used by the Emperor back in Nov. 2008 to transport himself, the Empress and their guests the King and Queen of Spain on a visit to Tsukuba in Ibaraki Pref.  The entourage returned to Tokyo by the Tsukuba Express.

amateur video (at Kameari Sta about 1:00, and Tsukuba Express Misato Chuo Sta. at 1:25):

TV news report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvz6DgDrSU&NR=1