Kirakira Uetsu (old Train identification anyone? thread)

disturbman

I was harmlessly browsing Flikr when I tumbeled into another new and unknown (to me) train. It runs between Niigata and Sakata and looks a lot like a Joyfull Train to me, maybe a customized 485 Series like allways. Any ideas?

4348443992_58aa589594_o.jpg

source: kakki**

• Like 1

I look for it in Hyperdia but couldn't find it (but hey, I also didn't find JR West Hamakaze). Anyway, thanks for that.

I'm allways amaze to see the number of special trains/joyfull trains Japan boast. It's like I discover a new one every week.

bikkuri bahn
I look for it in Hyperdia but couldn't find it (but hey, I also didn't find JR West Hamakaze). Anyway, thanks for that.

You're most welcome.  I guess Hyperdia doesn't list this train because it runs on an irregular schedule, being a joyful train.  Interesting that Hamakaze is absent, though.  Albeit this train has little interest to your average foreign visitor, either for the train itself or the destinations it serves.  I love it, though, and I manage to ride it once or twice a year.  I hope to ride it again  (for the last time?) this summer.  I love the kiha 181 type, both exteriors and the pure 60's era JNR interiors.  And nothing like a start from a station, with those thundering 500hp turbocharged engines spooling up!

JR actually mentioned this train in an English-language pamphlet aimed at JR East pass users, apparently published last fall (I found it through Google today).

It says: "To enjoy the stunning ocean and pastoral landscapes, Take the Kirakira Uetsu.  Running dates: Operates mainly on Saturdays, Sundays and National Holidays." It also gives a list of station stops, so apparently it's on a fixed route.

Interesting that Hamakaze is absent, though.  Albeit this train has little interest to your average foreign visitor, either for the train itself or the destinations it serves.  I love it, though, and I manage to ride it once or twice a year.  I hope to ride it again  (for the last time?) this summer. I love the kiha 181 type, both exteriors and the pure 60's era JNR interiors. And nothing like a start from a station, with those thundering 500hp turbocharged engines spooling up!

Yes, I'd like to ride it myself, I guess I would have to ask for it at Osaka-eki. Anyway, I've read that those units will most likely being replaced next year.

I'd seen this one leaving whilst waiting for the (never to arrive) SL Banetsu at Niigata in June last year (2009):

DSC01364.JPG?m=1272976118

DSC01366.JPG?m=1272976118

There were quite a lot of chronologically challenged people lining up for it :D

• Like 2