Mudkip's avatar & Co

inobu

qwertyaardvark

What does my avatar actually say? I don't know, I just thought it looked cute...

It says, strictly translated, "Danger!" or Abunai! (危ない)

Mudkip Orange

I recall seeing it in a video some where...  :walk: (hint hint nudge nudge...)

I uploaded an animated gif figuring it'd get removed within hours and I'd get a stern message in my inbox.

Alas, the forum software strips animated gifs into a single-frame PNG. So now you get Richard Pryor.

CaptOblivious

I recall seeing it in a video some where...  :walk: (hint hint nudge nudge...)

I uploaded an animated gif figuring it'd get removed within hours and I'd get a stern message in my inbox.

Alas, the forum software strips animated gifs into a single-frame PNG. So now you get Richard Pryor.

We didn't do that, I promise! I don't have anything against animated avatars myself. I think that's simply the default behavior of the forum software.

I tired to do an animated gif avatar last year and it wouldn't take. For some reason it was replaced by the USS Enterprise, so I gave up on the animated gif and went back to a jpg icon. I always just assumed that the forum software just doesn't like animated gifs.

CaptOblivious

Figured it out: The forum software automatically resizes avatars (as some have noticed), whether uploaded or linked to from another page, and saves them as PNG files (or alternately as JPGs). Apparently this process strips everything but the first frame of animated GIFs. So, there you go.

Please please please, no animated avatars!!! trying to read stuff with animated gifs around just makes it tougher. they are cute once and a while, but if the whole left hand column becomes animated its just going to make things get visually crazy.

ill say what i always say to my production crews, "its the content, stupid"

cheers

jeff

I'm with Jeff...animated avatars can become very distracting when there's a bunch of posts with all those things.  I think the simple, single, static image forces us to be more contemplative regarding our public 'face'.  Its more 'zen' or something.

I'm apathetic on it. Maybe my SOS is not as short as everyone elses, but I no more notice an animated icon than a static one, especially if you consider the fact that the physical size of the icons on here are limited.

Mudkip Orange

I have no particular need for animated forum avatars. I just thought I'd try it as a one-off thing.

Besides, if you REALLY want something animated you can always put it in your signature...

Yes please, we need to banned this.

edit: Meaning, please conpadres, restrain yourself and avoid using such horrifyingly big and animated image in your signature.

• Like 1

Yes its really boils down to acting on the forum for the group's benefit, not ones own. I would hope that thinking thus would block any sort of this stuff happening out on the forum. it really is a neat place and it does take restraint to keep it that way. I have been amazed at how well put many folks comments are and the subtly and cleverness of a lot the humor on the forum, thats rare. resorting to this sort of thing for humor/attention just takes us down the wrong path. i know i have blow it and rashed a few times, but always try to learn from it for the next time...

cheers

jeff

Darren Jeffries

I have no particular need for animated forum avatars. I just thought I'd try it as a one-off thing.

Besides, if you REALLY want something animated you can always put it in your signature...

Please dont. It's extremely annoying!

I have removed the offending GIF. I cannot sift through threads with big, annoying animations flashing away!!!

Any objections, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Mudkip Orange

Any objections, please do not hesitate to PM me.

None at all! I just wanted to point out that we *could* post animated gifs... I would've deleted it next time I logged in but y'all beat me to the punch!