Caboose/brake car at head of train

David

I've seen a number of prototype pictures where there is a brake (__fu) car placed at the front of the train facing forward, just before the locomotive. Is this related to how Japanese trains are rarely turned around (due to lack of space), so they just put a one sided brake car on both ends facing the appropriate direction? I haven't seen this with Yo cars, which would make sense given they are double sided and so they can be shunted to either side without being turned around.

To be honest with ya, I had never given any thought to a brake wheel on Japanese rolling stock or motive power.

I assume most of the modern (last 30 years at least) don't need the __fu variation cars since each car has it's own brakes, so all you see are a few Yo 8000 cars for the odd train that's pulling something unusual (Micro Ace has that crazy long super heavy load carrying car that comes with 2 Yo cars to bring it to a stop). I guess I should have said I was looking at older trains, about 1935-1975.

Hi David

I presume you are referring to freight workings. JNR freight trains in the latter part of the era you quote were fully fitted. They did not have unfitted freight trains as did British Railways during this period. The guards van could be placed anywhere in the train as there was continuous brakes in the train. However JNR usually placed the brake van at the rear or I have seen trains with one at each end possibly where the train reversed on route.

I assume most of the modern (last 30 years at least) don't need the __fu variation cars since each car has it's own brakes, so all you see are a few Yo 8000 cars for the odd train that's pulling something unusual (Micro Ace has that crazy long super heavy load carrying car that comes with 2 Yo cars to bring it to a stop).

David, that crazy long super heavy load carrying car has it's own brakes, and I doubt that two Yo8000s would have enough braking power to stop the thing if it did get away. They are more likely used as rider cars to carry additional crew during an out-of-gauge movement. Cabooses on JNR trains accomodate the guard/conductor and carry LCL goods, rather than function as brake vans in the British sense.

Continuous automatic air brake was introduced in Hokkaido in July 1925 on freight rollingstock, and elsewhere in April 1927. All freight stock throughout Japan had air brake fitted by 1933. Air brake on passenger stock stock was introduced in early 1929, and was all fitted by July 1931. Prior to that, passenger stock had automatic vacuum brake on the British pattern.

Cheers,

Mark.

... I have seen trains with one at each end possibly where the train reversed on route.

Yes, they're pick-up/trip trains, or what would be known in America as a turn. Having a van at each end means that only the loco has to run round, instead of having to shunt the van to the other end.

Cheers,

Mark.

... I have seen trains with one at each end possibly where the train reversed on route.

Yes, they're pick-up/trip trains, or what would be known in America as a turn. Having a van at each end means that only the loco has to run round, instead of having to shunt the van to the other end.

Cheers,

Mark.

We had a Brisbane to Ipswich shunt train in the days of guards vans, that made a side trip from Bundamba down a branch line to shunt a fertilizer works. There was a usually a second van at the front of the train so that when the train arrived at Bundamba the engine and leading van could quickly head off down the branch after shoving the rest of the train into a siding, when they returned the few wagons and van could easily be run around on the mainline and shoved back onto the rest of the train.

• Like 1