The EF64 never sleeps.

Mudkip Orange

I might try this one night on my next trip, looks more interesting than sitting in a hotel room watching weird Japanese game shows on TV. :grin

:icon_joker:

Looking at those hairstyles and makeup, must have been made close to twenty years ago- actually when you think about it, more a sad commentary on western society (or rather U.S. society...) that tourists have to prepare for these situations.

But back to the original video, a very good sequence of shots. Liked the EF64 delivering a Kanto Railway 5000 series unit from builder Niigata Transys.  But especially liked the last sequence of freight no. 5788 rei, which delivers milk carton flats from Hoketsu Paper's Niigata Mill to the Kanto region.  The contrast of sound between the two axle wamus and the bogie container flats is telling.

Here is another video of 5788 rei, this time at Omiya Station:

Mudkip Orange

Well that does make it slightly more difficult to model a Japanese dairy farm.

Although I suppose it's possible there are dairies adjacent to small, rural private lines that only carry passengers now, but might've carried milk 75 years ago.

Although I suppose it's possible there are dairies adjacent to small, rural private lines that only carry passengers now, but might've carried milk 75 years ago.

From The History of Japanese Dairy Farming:

"Commercial dairy farming began in Japan in the late Meiji era, about 100 years ago. However, it was not until the early 1950s that it developed on a full scale, about the same time that the school lunch system was introduced in elementary schools. "

I also found a paper which notes that western food largely entered the Japanese diet after WWII.

So it seems unlikely there would have been much milk distribution (by train or otherwise) prior to the 1950's. And by then trucks probably would have had the advantage over trains, even in rural areas.

bikkuri bahn

In Hokkaido's dairy region in the eastern half of the island, there was a group of 762mm lines that hauled milk in addition to passengers.  They were gone by the early seventies.  Here's the Hamanaka-Cho line:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/m_horikoshi/3KaniKidou/_Rk_02b_hamanaka.htm#11

or could have a small kobe beef ranch! but then we would need a tomytec figure set of workers massaging the cattle!

jeff