Oh what is this?

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

Surfing along the Maps of The Google, one might come along this mysterious railroad yard... with no railroad!

Turns out it's the O&M facility for the Fukuoka Subway Line 3, near the western terminus at Hashimoto. The actual connection to the subway is underground; trains pop out of the tunnel, hit a reversing section, then enter the yard or one of the maintenance bays.

This would make a PERFECT small layout for someone who just wants to collect trains but doesn't care about continuous running capabilities, since there's room for ample staging on the other side of the tunnel portal - directly underneath the yard. It'd look especially good for someone who likes to buy a lot of copies of the same train.

If you're into T-Trak, this module could "float" over a set of T-trak modules, with the yard axis perpendicular to the direction of the T-trak mainline, just as it is with the real thing in Fukuoka.

post-161-1356992412076_thumb.jpg

Yes, very cool idea.

There's a similar facility on the Tokyo Metro's Tozai line in Koto ward, just south of Toyocho station.  The subway line runs east-west underground, with the yard south and parallel to it. The track from the Fukagawa Maintenance Depot is actually a hairpin, that comes above ground in the middle of the curve.

And, just to make life interesting, the depot is on Shiohama, an artificial island, so the track crosses a canal as it enters the facility.

qwertyaardvark

Interesting way to get out of a yard... but poor motormen/conductors. Hopefully the commuter trains aren't too long, b/c don't they always have to move to the "front" end of the train whenever they are driving? If only it were as easy putting your car into reverse, and looking backwards to park :P

Definitely would consider this setup for my next layout! (whenever that will be) Very much so looking forward to having a O&M yard :grin

Does the 2nd staffmember also have the permission to drive? I could be wrong, but this probably not the case. There'll be probably a 3rd person riding along or waiting for the train to arrive and then take over the move. The driver could also reverse the train and drive on the directions of the 2nd staffmember.

Does the 2nd staffmember also have the permission to drive? I could be wrong, but this probably not the case. There'll be probably a 3rd person riding along or waiting for the train to arrive and then take over the move. The driver could also reverse the train and drive on the directions of the 2nd staffmember.

I can't say what the Japanese rules are. Here in Brisbane we used to be able to reverse a train with the guard in the rear cab calling signals etc, over the intercom and ready to pull the air in an emergency, but a recent change to the rules states that if there is a usable cab at the rear of the train the driver has to change ends. Sometimes if there is not enough time at the end of the line or trains are running late cutting back turnround time (6 minutes is allowed), a second driver will be assigned to ride in the rear cab to cut in as soon as his mate up front cuts out. I did a couple of turns on Saturday night due to maintenance work causing Ipswich line trains to run late, when the late train arrived at Ipswich I jumped into what was now the front and took the train a couple of stations while the other driver walked through the train to take over, then I would get off and ride back to Ipswich in the rear of the next train to do it over again. In QR jargon this is called a 'quick turnback' and the second driver is a 'turnback driver'.

Mudkip Orange

Found another similar setup.

This is the southern terminus of the Toei Asakusa Line, just south of Nishi-Magome Station. Operation is similar to the Fukuoka yard - trains come up out of the subway on an incline along the northwestern side of the yard, hit a tail track, then reverse back in. Trains leaving the yard perform the same reversing maneuver before entering the tunnel.

This time the tail track is elevated... and runs straight into a Denny's restaurant. If any of the train operators were to lose control and crash through the buffers, the resulting accident would certainly be a "Grand Slam"...

post-161-13569924171714_thumb.jpg

post-161-13569924172415_thumb.jpg

IIMNM, trains in Japan are staffed with two men, one at each end of the train. That should simplify this type of manoeuver.

Not always.

This time the tail track is elevated... and runs straight into a Denny's restaurant. If any of the train operators were to lose control and crash through the buffers, the resulting accident would certainly be a "Grand Slam"...

I think it's safe to assume there would be a number of intermediate/low-speed train stops on the tail track to ensure trains never go fast enough to get past the buffers.

Cheers,

Mark.

Interesting way to get out of a yard... but poor motormen/conductors. Hopefully the commuter trains aren't too long, b/c don't they always have to move to the "front" end of the train whenever they are driving?

It doesn't take long to chnage ends when reversing a train, and from what I've seen that's the usual practice. If time is short, there is a relay driver waiting at the other end. The first driver cuts out, the second driver cuts in, and away they go. Very quick and efficient.

Cheers,

Mark.

I can't say what the Japanese rules are. Here in Brisbane we used to be able to reverse a train with the guard in the rear cab calling signals etc, over the intercom and ready to pull the air in an emergency, but a recent change to the rules states that if there is a usable cab at the rear of the train the driver has to change ends.

We do something similar here, it's known as propelling. The difference is that the guard gives bell signals rather than using the intercom. There are only four locations where it is permitted under normal working. It is allowed in an emergency, but most times it's more expedient for the driver to simply change ends.

We used to propel at Waterfall, my home depot, but one day things went horribly wrong...

Cheers,

Mark.

Mudkip Orange

I think it's safe to assume there would be a number of intermediate/low-speed train stops on the tail track to ensure trains never go fast enough to get past the buffers.

Cheers,

Mark.

You're probably right, but I couldn't resist the urge to make an awful, awful pun.

Interesting way to get out of a yard... but poor motormen/conductors. Hopefully the commuter trains aren't too long, b/c don't they always have to move to the "front" end of the train whenever they are driving?

It doesn't take long to chnage ends when reversing a train, and from what I've seen that's the usual practice. If time is short, there is a relay driver waiting at the other end. The first driver cuts out, the second driver cuts in, and away they go. Very quick and efficient.

Cheers,

Mark.

We are allowed six minutes to change ends on a six car train, of course you can do it a lot quicker when it's your last run and you're going back empty to the depot. When we are shunting trains around Mayne depot we work in pairs with one of us at each end. QR's 'Zero Harm' policy is putting an end to changing ends on six car trains at anywhere other than at a platform because they are scared we will hurt ourselves climbing in and out of the middle cabs.