So you'd like to: ride the entire Keihan line from Osaka to Kyoto

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

Part 5: Kuzuha to Yodo northbound platform (Yodo Station northbound and Yodo Station southbound are almost a quarter of a mile apart). Serious bridge action starting at about 4 minutes in.

Mudkip Orange

Part 6: Yodo northbound to Tanbabashi.

This is where Keihan and Kintetsu switch right-of-ways (Kintetsu's current ROW north of Tanbabashi is Keihan's original ROW north of Tanbabashi, and vice versa). At about 5:47 you can see a grassy knoll on your right; this is the point at which the Kintetsu/Keihan lines merged prior to construction of Kintetsutanbabashi Station.

Mudkip Orange

Part 7: Tanbabashi to Shijo. As you pull out of the station there's a track off to your left that dead-ends. After the track ends, you can see the retaining walls which mark where that track curved off to the left, joining the (now lowered) Kintetsu tracks, which you pass over at 0:40

Mudkip Orange

And finally, Part 8, Shijo to Demachiyanagi.

This is entirely subway (BO-RING), but it does give you some idea of the trackwork that exists at Sanjo, which you can see starting about 1:10. Sanjo is the original terminus of the Otsu lines, and is currently a stop on the Kyoto subway (with some through-running to the Otsu lines).

Nick_Burman

Great...fun, fast and efficient...tried following the train with my LRTA guidebook, however train stopping patterns seem to have changed a lot since it was first published...

Why did Keihan and Kintetsu swap ROWs?

Also an oddity...there is a moment wher the train passes the RR's power substation (somewhere near Yodo), all of a sudden the track where the train is running seems to be fitted with signals for reverse running...maybe to allow work trains to reach the substation?

Cheers NB

Mudkip Orange

It appears I'm wrong about that.

My understanding of the Kintetsu/Keihan ROW switch comes from reading a machine-translated version of the Japanese Wikipedia. But in the interim, someone has updated the English Wiki to state that the Kintetsu ROW originally belonged to the JR Nara Line, and that the connections you can see in the video actually date to a WWII effort to provide redundancy between the Keihan and Nara/Kintetsu systems,

There's a reference to this website, which has some very interesting maps.

While in Osaka last month, I notice Kintetsu trains running on the Keihan Line. From what my understanding is, Kintetsu has operating rights over the Keihan and Hanshin lines. (Even though Hanshin is owned by Hankyu) The private railways over there in Kansai seems to have a lot of agreements with each other. With the exception of the loop Line, I had the feeling overall JR was more interested in regional train service and left local services up to the private lines and the subway.

bikkuri bahn

While in Osaka last month, I notice Kintetsu trains running on the Keihan Line. From what my understanding is, Kintetsu has operating rights over the Keihan and Hanshin lines. (Even though Hanshin is owned by Hankyu) The private railways over there in Kansai seems to have a lot of agreements with each other. With the exception of the loop Line, I had the feeling overall JR was more interested in regional train service and left local services up to the private lines and the subway.

I think just the Kintetsu/Hanshin link exists, by way of the Nanba Line extension.  Though there was once a physical link between Kintetsu and Keihan at Tanbabashi Station:

http://kyoto.trolley.net/album/tanbabashi.html

Yes, it seems JR plays more of the role of the trunk line operator rather than local services provider.  This is a reflection of the relative dominance of private railways in the Kansai area.  However, JR West has stiff competition with the private railways on those interurban/intercity routes.  That severe environment is cited as a exacerbating factor in the lead up to the Fukuchiyama Line crash.

Nick_Burman

It appears I'm wrong about that.

My understanding of the Kintetsu/Keihan ROW switch comes from reading a machine-translated version of the Japanese Wikipedia. But in the interim, someone has updated the English Wiki to state that the Kintetsu ROW originally belonged to the JR Nara Line, and that the connections you can see in the video actually date to a WWII effort to provide redundancy between the Keihan and Nara/Kintetsu systems,

There's a reference to this website, which has some very interesting maps.

What is today's Kintetsu Nara Line was the Nara Electric Railway. For a while Nara Electric ran a joint service with Keihan.

Cheers NB

I'm sorry, but you have got something wrong here.

Keihan has no connection with any other railway, except the Keishin line to Hama-Otsu that has through running to Kyoto Subway Tozai line.

Kintetsu have not any "operating rights" on other lines - that is very rare in Japan with such things. But, Kintetsu trains operates into the Hanshin network. But, on the Hanshin section, the Kintetsu train is staffed by Hanshin staff and the tickets has to be Hanshin tickets.

Guest ___

Yeah except for where they are sharing yards, right? Or are the shots I have of Keihan trains running over the Kintetsu Lines a fluke? Because it sure in hell messed me up for the better part of three hours trying to sort out what they were doing in Kintetsu territory.

Yeah except for where they are sharing yards, right? Or are the shots I have of Keihan trains running over the Kintetsu Lines a fluke? Because it sure in hell messed me up for the better part of three hours trying to sort out what they were doing in Kintetsu territory.

The only place where Kintetsu and Keihan is even close to each other is at Tambabashi, but there is no physical connection between the networks. (It has been a long time ago).

I know the Keihan network very well, as my parents-in-law lives along the line, and I have travelled all of the network.