Spiral Time on the Hokuriku

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

South of Tsuruga, the Hokuriku line splits and crosses over itself a couple times. "Down" trains head uphill via a set of spiral tunnels, while "Up" trains coast down to Tsuruga on a more direct (and substantially steeper) parallel route.

Photos:

-Tsuruga Station has a bit of an art deco theme.

-Tsuruga Station platform

-Shin-Hikita Station

-Route Map

post-161-1356992410643_thumb.jpg

post-161-13569924107179_thumb.jpg

post-161-13569924107901_thumb.jpg

post-161-13569924108608_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange

Here's a cab ride from Tsuruga to Shin-Hikita. At about 3:10 it turns to cross the valley, crossing over the "Up" line at 3:24.

At 7:49, you enter the crossover tunnel. The lines cross again in the tunnel, and when you exit the "Up" line is once again to your right.

Mudkip Orange

Heading back downhill, here's an "out-the-window" view of the terrain as seen from the right-side window of a Tsuruga-bound local. At about a minute in you can get a feel for how steep this line is by comparing it to the "down" tracks, and then realizing that *those tracks are also heading downhill*.

Your train crosses under the "down" line in the first tunnel, then again for a split-second between 2:59 and 3:00. Don't blink, you'll miss it.

Mudkip Orange

But hey, reality sucks, so why not just play video games?

Here's an "up" train exceeding the speed limit and failing to make the required station stops. Shin-Hikita starts at about 6:48. The unmistakable downgrade starts shortly thereafter.

qwertyaardvark

Pretty cool line! Love the rural-ness, and man do i miss being in the Hokuriku area~ ^_^

As far as the Densha Go! game goes, i don't think he was supposed to stop at those stations, as its was a commuter express train that he was driving. I kept wondering why he kept getting points for bypassing the stations... :P

Welps, my morning you-tube video quota is filled with many thanks to this thread  :grin

Pretty cool line! Love the rural-ness, and man do i miss being in the Hokuriku area~ ^_^

I've never been, but I'd like to go. I think I'm in danger of trying to "focus" on the entire Japan Sea coast...

qwertyaardvark

I've never been, but I'd like to go. I think I'm in danger of trying to "focus" on the entire Japan Sea coast...

At the financial rate im going, there'll be a Hokuriku maglev line by the time i return.... ;_; If you need a guide, translator, or slave/personal servant while in Japan, I'd be more than happy to be one ^_^

I wouldn't blame ya if you focused on the Japan Sea coast. Me practicing to model rural areas and my layout being rural (despite all but 1 of my 15 trains being Shinkansen/HSR) are driven by my experiences on the Hokuriku line and Hokuriku railway. ^_^

At the financial rate im going, there'll be a Hokuriku maglev line by the time i return.... ;_;

You're on that plan, too, eh? :-/

If you need a guide, translator, or slave/personal servant while in Japan, I'd be more than happy to be one ^_^

I can offer slave wages, but definitely would need translation services--that might violate some sort of labor law.

I wouldn't blame ya if you focused on the Japan Sea coast. Me practicing to model rural areas and my layout being rural (despite all but 1 of my 15 trains being Shinkansen/HSR) are driven by my experiences on the Hokuriku line and Hokuriku railway. ^_^

I can believe it--from the bit of research I've done lately, it seems like a really interesting area, plus there are more cool trains going through there than I had realized.