These are my other babies,

1994 Subaru Sambar 660cc Supercharged, and 2007 Subaru R2  Both Japanese imports.

Member of 2 Subaru clubs here in the SE of England.  Got a club meet today and will be taking the R2

SDC10275.jpg

Sambar at the front and R2 at the back

qwertyaardvark

Kei cars! [1 user likes this] ^_^

For Americans on this forum, how street legal would these cars be? Would there be any hope to importing such cars stateside?

They are legal in BC and Ontario with restrictions.  Gearing may be an issue on North American roads. I've seen a couple on the streets of Belleville.

http://www.kei-cars.com/index_files/faq.htm#9

http://www.keicarsjapan.com/

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/11/the-small-car-t/

http://green.autoblog.com/2007/12/14/a-look-at-kei-cars-those-tiny-japanese-cars/

http://www.japanoid.com/index.php

Hmm, Kei-cars. Those would probably be the first choice when I buy a car for myself (after getting a lisence). Then tune the engine to the max! >:D Problem is though, they aren't very practical... My choice would thus be a Suzuki Carry/Piaggio Porter or some other form of High-Body car. Preferred is of course a turbo engine.

qwertyaardvark

They are legal in BC and Ontario with restrictions. 

A quick read of the FAQ shows me this rather harsh Canadian restriction:

Is it legal to own one of these cars?

Yes! In Canada it completely legal to own and drive any of the cars that we offer on our website. Importation regulations allow for vehicle registration and licensing of any motor vehicle (excluding buses) from abroad as long as it is 15 years old, to the month. (ie. a vehicle manufactured in May 1991 would be eligible for Canadian importation in May 2006)

While I have some faith in the Shakan system, it kinda sucks I couldn't get any of the newer models and better mileages... But I suppose its in place to protect domestic markets and such.

Japan also has a warm, snow free climate which keeps rust in check

.... Uh... Last i checked, it snows in Japan. That statement is literally equal to saying the US East Coast has a warm, snow free climate... :P Rather, a better statement would have said that the Japanese hardly ever use salt on the roads (at least in my experience in Kanazawa). They tend to just use sprinklers, heated concrete and physical shoveling to take care of snowed-in roads.

Hmm, Kei-cars. Those would probably be the first choice when I buy a car for myself (after getting a lisence). Then tune the engine to the max! >:D Problem is though, they aren't very practical... My choice would thus be a Suzuki Carry/Piaggio Porter or some other form of High-Body car. Preferred is of course a turbo engine.

R2 does 50+mile per UK gallon and is more practical than you think, 5 door, Aircon, Auto, 85mph top speed all you need for running around.

Sambar being older only 35 mpg. Also aerodynamics of a house brick :cheesy. Same size as a Carry/Bedford Rascal.

For US guys  see http://www.minitrucktalk.com/index.php

qwertyaardvark

Hmz... seems unfortunate, but as far as Kei trucks are concerned, they are not street legal, and can only be considered as ATV's in only a few cases. In some circumstances, like Texas, it would count as some sort of agricultural vehicle and needs a slow-vehicle orange triangle, 8ft "whips" as markers, and can't travel on the road for more than 25miles from where you start, and other regulations that things like tractors require. DMVs stateside in some cases will make you weld on a plate that limits you to first gear and reverse. In all cases, you go through a lot of red tape.

As Kei vehicles in general, the EPA is in the midst of more or less effectively banning the importation of these vehicles, on the basis that Japan is just dumping old cars here... or something along those lines. Said vehicles as is are not DOT street legal. As federal rules trump state rules, despite your local DMV authorizing the vehicle, if the Feds find out, you are hosed. So no Kei cars in the US for a while unless you are willing to mod your Kei car till it is DOT street legal.

R2 does 50+mile per UK gallon and is more practical than you think, 5 door, Aircon, Auto, 85mph top speed all you need for running around.

Sambar being older only 35 mpg. Also aerodynamics of a house brick :cheesy. Same size as a Carry/Bedford Rascal.

Sure, but I'd like some vehicle that can also be used on a holiday or transport a modular layout or something like that matter. A DAihatsu Cuore wouldn't do for me. :laugh:

Mudkip Orange

There is also the question of why in the hell you would want to take a kei car on the Houston freeway system, where people are driving Tahoes and dually trucks at 85mph.

qwertyaardvark

There is also the question of why in the hell you would want to take a kei car on the Houston freeway system, where people are driving Tahoes and dually trucks at 85mph.

I live life on THE EDGE. Keeps me awake at the wheel. Kinda like Crank. Kinda like the same adrenaline rush when i stand mere feet, nay inches from a speeding American freight train. ^_^

The UK like Australia and New Zealand is flooded with Japanese used vehicles, they normally cost cheaper than if new here and normally have less mileage and wear and tear, most popular are 4X4 and sports like Skylines but there are also lots of Figaros here too.

I was on holiday in Cyprus last month and was amazed to go to town on a ten year old HINO Rainbow citybus still  with Japanese adverts inside!

Lew

post-214-13569926249942_thumb.jpg

As Kei vehicles in general, the EPA is in the midst of more or less effectively banning the importation of these vehicles, on the basis that Japan is just dumping old cars here..

Seems a strange rationale for the EPA to hold, as: 1. the steering wheel is on the wrong side, and 2. most Americans don't like micro-sized vehicles. (read: tiny niche hobbyist market, kind like n scale Japanese trains lol). Japan, "dumping" or not, anyway finds extremely willing buyers in Russia and the nations where people drive on the left, as noted by Harukablue- oh, and nice pic of the bus btw!

With gas prices soaring, suddenly I have seen two Japanese Kei trucks on the streets in Belleville today.  :cool:

In my city in Canada there's TONS of 80's and 90's Japanese second hand vehicles.  Tiny mini-trucks and vans seem most popular.  I see at least half a dozen every day and the number is often growing.  The right hand drive doesn't seem a big deal with the vehicles are so narrow anyways.

My city also has special parking spots downtown for mini-sized vehicles. 

No offence intended to our north american continental members but these little vehicles are great for every day use in citys.Economical and very easy to drive :grin

OK if I want to cancel the carbon footprint of my R2 (60mpg and CO2emissions of 117 with aircon and auto box) I just have to fire up the other car(the WRX with no cat and straight thro exhaust.) or listen to the guy down the road fire up his 57 Belair running twin cherry bombs, :grin

Considering you can literally get secondhand cars for five bucks in Japan, I'm not surprised people are buying and exporting them all over. I've even heard of countries adopting left-hand driving or permitting left-hand-driving vehicles to take advantage of used cars from the Japanese market.

ShinCanadaSen

No offense taken, Keiman. I love my '79 Mini 1000 and I miss my '93 Subaru Justy ( 3 cylinders and 4WD is just too much fun ;) ). My current ride is a '93 Legacy ( old enough to be only FWD ) that guzzles fuel when you put your foot down !! I guess it's the flat 4.

Kai