Kato Platform Questions

Basic stuff here, but it would be helpful to know...

* Are the stickers/decals that come with the Kato platforms the rub-on type?

* Will acrylic paint adhere sufficiently to the plastic accessories (benches, signs, etc.,)?

CaptOblivious

Can't speak for the Kato, but if they are made of ABS like the Tomix ones, acrylic paint is no problem. I painted up a couple of Tomix platform pieces: Washed them in soap to ensure no dirty-finger oils, and brushed on the colors. (Next time I will use an airbrush to ensure that anything I paint yellow doesn't automatically become a step too! Paint is too thick!)

Thanks, Don...

Yeah, I'd like to try an airbrush for stuff like this, too, but from what I've read on here, it's best to wait until I can afford a good one.

Martijn Meerts

Thanks, Don...

Yeah, I'd like to try an airbrush for stuff like this, too, but from what I've read on here, it's best to wait until I can afford a good one.

Depends really.. I have a cheap compressor and airbrush, and while they're definitely not the best, they're good enough for non-detailed work like large bits and pieces (the hull of a ship for example.) It also gives you a good idea of how an airbrush handles, and whether or not you want to spend a good amount of money on them. Best is of course if you could borrow them from someone to give them a whirl.

Funny enough, I checked an online shop that specializes in airbrushes, and they have a compressor which looks just like mine except it has a different color. The other difference is that it has a pressure valve so you can set the pressure, and as far as I know, I can add one of those to my compressor as well. Will have to give it a try.

In short, I don't regret buying my compressor and airbrush.

Paint should hold well on the kits, as long as the kits are cleaned off from oil, and you might want to use some primer as well. One thing to note is that some paints (for example Tamiya acrylics) dry really fast, so you'll probably want to thin it a bit.

As for the decals, all Kato decals I've seen so far (mostly those including with trains) are thick stickers, unfortunately ...

As for the decals, all Kato decals I've seen so far (mostly those including with trains) are thick stickers, unfortunately ...

I guess I'll have to work up the nerve to use an x-acto knife again. Or maybe buy some chainmail gloves for self-protection.

CaptOblivious

Worth noting is that the Tomix kits use paper stickers (that must be cut out), rather than rub-ons or the plastic stickers Kato often uses. Does Kato use paper stickers for their platform kits, Martijn?

Martijn Meerts

Worth noting is that the Tomix kits use paper stickers (that must be cut out), rather than rub-ons or the plastic stickers Kato often uses. Does Kato use paper stickers for their platform kits, Martijn?

No idea, I don't have any Kato kits. I have some Tomix ones though, including a platform. If I can find it, I could have a look what's included there at least.