1 layout or 2? (The latest trivial dilemma....)

scott

Hey Scott, hope you don't mind me chucking my ideas in too, so here we go....

My last layout was 1960's (ish) Baltimore & Ohio, now running a cream & red 2 car DMU past some of the Walthers kits I'd used would just not look right, so it has gone.  Someone said that it's your layout and you should run what you want, and to a certain extent I agree, but even I (freelance is the only way to go!) would try to give the layout a feel for the continent the trains came from e.g. you couldn't have the Flying Scotsman passing the Chrysler building.

One of the guys on YMR has a combined UK\US layout however, it is split along its length with a scenic divider and he has access to both sides and has 2 separate scenarios to model.

It will become apparent that when I start my Japanese layout (if ever!) that I know sod all about what should run what and where, all I will do is try and give it and authentic feel, and that is the best suggestion I can make to you.  So by all means run different era stuff on the same layout, but try and keep it continent specific.

So by all means run different era stuff on the same layout, but try and keep it continent specific.

Ideally, that's exactly the way I'd like to do it--I'm more concerned with place than with era-correctness. But I beginning to realize that I'm going to have to transition to that approach gradually, and just deal with the weird feeling for a while. Between money, space, and family issues, another full-size layout isn't going to happen soon.

I am hoping, though, that I can build a small all-Japanese station module/diorama out of parts that I already have, just so I don't feel like I  have to drop Japanese modeling entirely for a long time.

So by all means run different era stuff on the same layout, but try and keep it continent specific.

Ideally, that's exactly the way I'd like to do it--I'm more concerned with place than with era-correctness. But I beginning to realize that I'm going to have to transition to that approach gradually, and just deal with the weird feeling for a while. Between money, space, and family issues, another full-size layout isn't going to happen soon.

I am hoping, though, that I can build a small all-Japanese station module/diorama out of parts that I already have, just so I don't feel like I  have to drop Japanese modeling entirely for a long time.

I like to try and keep the era of what I have on the layout at a given time roughly consistent. Most people wouldn't know that the Super View Odoriko, Tsubami and a Kintetsu EMU wouldn't be seen together, but if a 9600 2-8-0 trundled into the station beside them with a string of four wheeled freight cars they'd probably realise something was out of place. I try to do the same when I running Santa Fe, the zebra stripe SD24's and 40ft boxcars don't mix with the Super Fleet SD70's and double stacks.

scott.

one of the jrm members has a large basement unitrak layout in his basement. he collects the trains he has ridden on so he has a big load of japanese. european and i think a few us trains. his layout is in a big G shape. one end is Zurich and the other one Kyoto. there is sort of a generic looking us city (philly) in the center!

as i get older im finding myself trying to focus more on one thing at a time as i find myself too bifurcated!

cheers

jeff

one of the jrm members has a large basement unitrak layout in his basement. he collects the trains he has ridden on so he has a big load of japanese. european and i think a few us trains. his layout is in a big G shape. one end is Zurich and the other one Kyoto. there is sort of a generic looking us city (philly) in the center!

I can see how that might be fun, but to be honest I think it would drive me sort of nuts. (Not that I'm not there already, as this thread shows... :rolleyes: )

as i get older im finding myself trying to focus more on one thing at a time as i find myself too bifurcated!

Yeah, I think I would be a lot happier if I could manage that. Right now, though, I'm having a hard giving up on either location.

10 obsess(trains)

20 goto 10

Most people wouldn't know that the Super View Odoriko, Tsubami and a Kintetsu EMU wouldn't be seen together, but if a 9600 2-8-0 trundled into the station beside them with a string of four wheeled freight cars they'd probably realise something was out of place. I try to do the same when I running Santa Fe, the zebra stripe SD24's and 40ft boxcars don't mix with the Super Fleet SD70's and double stacks.

Easy - it is called a heritage line  :grin

Mudkip Orange

Most people wouldn't know that the Super View Odoriko, Tsubami and a Kintetsu EMU wouldn't be seen together, but if a 9600 2-8-0 trundled into the station beside them with a string of four wheeled freight cars they'd probably realise something was out of place. I try to do the same when I running Santa Fe, the zebra stripe SD24's and 40ft boxcars don't mix with the Super Fleet SD70's and double stacks.

Easy - it is called a heritage line  :grin

Or any small private railway that buys secondhand stock... I mean is it really that much of a stretch to imagine Tokyu or KinkiSharyo shortening an ex-Odoriko consist to three cars for use on Choshi Dentetsu? Nagaden runs old Romancecars that have been clipped to four cars (including streamlined ends)...

Someone said that it's your layout and you should run what you want, and to a certain extent I agree, but even I (freelance is the only way to go!) would try to give the layout a feel for the continent the trains came from e.g. you couldn't have the Flying Scotsman passing the Chrysler building.

Why not? The loco "Flying Scotsman" was in  the USA between 1969 and 1973.  :grin

(You could have it running on an Australian layout, too!)

Cheers,

Mark.

Mudkip Orange

You couldn't run the Super Chief anywhere on the Japanese 1067mm network because of the smaller loading gauge.

But you could run the Super View Odoriko on the Northeast Corridor with nothing more than an FRA waiver.

Besides, I like this idea of a train line that connects Philadelphia to Kyoto and Zurich in under an hour. Life would be a lot more interesting were that the case...

Besides, I like this idea of a train line that connects Philadelphia to Kyoto and Zurich in under an hour. Life would be a lot more interesting were that the case...

It certainly would mate, just imagne the fun bashing a Class 20 from Llandudno Junction to Sapporo! Or a HST 125 from Birmingham to Osaka! :grin.

10 obsess(trains)

20 goto 10

cant get any more basic than that...

hear the one about the mystery death of the guy in the shower. found dead, apparently starved with many bottles of shampoo around him. finally the ace detective comes in and clears it all up saying "its elementary, they guy was a programmer and read the shampoo label -- Lather, rinse, repeat."

jeff

ok you can groan now... hey ive been programming off and on for 38 years...

Martijn Meerts

10 obsess(trains)

20 goto 10

cant get any more basic than that...

hear the one about the mystery death of the guy in the shower. found dead, apparently starved with many bottles of shampoo around him. finally the ace detective comes in and clears it all up saying "its elementary, they guy was a programmer and read the shampoo label -- Lather, rinse, repeat."

jeff

ok you can groan now... hey ive been programming off and on for 38 years...

Should sue the shampoo company for releasing something with an infinite loop =)