T-Trak(ish) Idea

scott

I've been fiddling around with ideas for modules to (eventually) make up a Japanese layout. A recent doodle, which wouldn't fit in the space I thought it would, led to the attached drawing (from RailModeller). It's based on T-Trak "alternate" spacing, but in this version the module is double-width, and as deep as an alternate-spacing corner module. It was too crowded otherwise.

Any thoughts, criticisms, etc., would be welcome.

The red line is a double-tracked interurban line. The green line is a small-scale scenic route running small railcars or EMUs.

post-151-13569923951817_thumb.jpg

Is the spur to the building a freight siding, or something else?  To me, it seems to clutter up the scene, but I have limited knowledge of that kind of prototype.  Is there a specific place/idea behind this, or a feeling of place that you want to convey?

I see the elevator/stairs, but are they up to an overhead corridor or down to a tunnel?

And if it's rural (as it looks), why not just have a track-level pedestrian crossing to the platform instead?  That seems to be common, even in somewhat urban stations, as long as it's not a Shinkansen or a major commuter line. You'd need a ramp down at one end of the platforms, but that could also be how people get to/from the parking area. Some pedestrian crossing gates and flashers would make a nice scenic accent.

And if you're going for a rural feel, maybe replace the house with two smaller houses, to give more of a village feeling to the scene, assuming you can make that fit.

Just some thoughts.

I have limited knowledge of that kind of prototype.

I'm making this up, so there's not much to know. :-)

This would be a terminus for a small railway, so the siding would make room for extra/off-duty EMUs.

Is there a specific place/idea behind this, or a feeling of place that you want to convey?

It's not meant to model a real place, but I figured it would be a transfer point to an older, perhaps shabby rural scenic line on the edge of  a town. The scenic line could have other terminii elsewhere that might be more urban.

I see the elevator/stairs, but are they up to an overhead corridor or down to a tunnel?

And if it's rural (as it looks), why not just have a track-level pedestrian crossing to the platform instead? 

They are to a tunnel below. A few versions back, I had a pedestrian crossing and ramps, but I didn't care for it at the time.

Just some thoughts.

I appreciate it.

I am new to this module thing.

Can someone tell me about how to do it, and where it came from.

I've heard of a Tomix module system but not sure where to get it.

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Scott,

Great start, thanks for sharing !

You've picked a nice starting point where you can experiment, dry fit etc so you don't need to commit. A lot of times available product or standards (T-Trak etc) dictate layouts but its nice to do things the other way around.

I don't know at what point detail becomes clutter or how many focal points are just right. I like the idea of a spur line and one turnout looks a lot better than 2 parallel tracks for some reason.

You could almost invert this layout to emphasize the spur etc and use the interurban line as background - maybe even elevate it slightly. Maybe that goes against the T-Trak standards, don't know; but maybe that does not matter to you.

A lot of layouts are too square so that tracks are parallel to the layout or any roads etc at 90 degrees. It always seems more interesting to have elevation differences and roads etc that are offset.

If you inverted the layout and elevated the red-line, you could have a tunnel for road traffic underneath. The elevation would allow you to have 2 focal points: the spur area; and then the train stop where the elevation would help to accentuate both.

If you don't have many figures or vehicles then the proposed layout would be OK. Maybe a truck and a few cars and you could almost get away with a few figures working at the spur area and none or just 1-2 at the train stop.

Since you planned on trees, maybe you can do the inversion but use the trees in clumps parallel to the red-line, but in the background.. A way of ending the layout

On the other hand, I generally don't know what I am talking about...

Cheers

Rick

scott,

interesting, i see the milk and cookies are keeping you up at night! got bit by the modular monster!

only think i worry about with this many rails is that your scenes will need to be very heavy rail line centric scenes. there will be a lot of track in a small space.

might layout a few modules on chunks of module sized card board and some unitrak and then mock up the scenes to see how if feels. this is how i keep monkeying around with my ttrak modules.

back line might also be interesting with small scale freight as well.

keep us posted on the ideas!

cheers

jeff

Thanks for all the good ideas--I had sort of dropped the module idea lately, partly because there's nobody nearby with other modules to connect to. But I like the idea of laying things out on cardboard. And raising the interurban line could work well, but that gives me ideas about a complete layout.... <sigh>

I have spent wayy to long with module sized pieces of foamcore rearranging buildings for module ideas. this summer i am starting to finally glue stuff down on modules! it is a fun way to play!

btw with a reversing circuit you would not need folks around you or 4 corner units if you had a good run of modules! the fun of the modular is you can do a little loop of 8-10 modules on a folding table or go bigger! maybe you can dig up some interested folks in the areas if you get out and show a small loop at a local event. only would take 1 or 2 other folks to then make a nice display at events! cool thing about small modules like this is they are really fast to set up and low cost curve (ie build a module at a time and probably less than $25 per module). probably the best way to start a group in a smaller area like Charlottesville.

i may have to steal your third rail idea, i kept trying to think how i could bring some freight into my tram ttrak lines. may now think about a line on the rear of the layout for one of those tiny one industry private row lines you see in towns that shunt small strings of cars down streets and back alley row a few times a week. could be cute on a reversing circuit across 5 or 6 modules!

cheers

jeff