Red loco numbers

harukablue

Martijn Meerts

It seems most of color variants have that. My JR-Freight EF65-1000 (white lower half, blue upper half, yellow doors) has red boards. I thought that was wrong so I went and had a look, and there were plenty prototype pictures showing red boards.

Not sure why it is, Capt thought it might have to do with the depot they're stationed at.

I know what red/yellow cab doors indicate, the relevant voltage the loco runs on, unless mulyi-voltage and they still have red doors lol!!, I also didnt know that there are two variants of the JRF blue livery there is single  tone blue and two tone blue!

Maybe id to identify  a loco from a distance as they coloured plates seem to stand out alot more?, I know in steam days  a loco designated to shunter/switching duties had  a cross on the side perhaps this may be the answer as EF65 locos must be some of the oldest on JRF now?

Lew

If current practice is based on that from steam days, the background color of the number plates depended on the motive power depot the locomotive was assigned to.  Standard color was black, to match the general color of the locomotive, but green and red also were used.

For example, on the Tokaido Line, in more active steam days, these depots used these colors:

Miyahara (Osaka area): Red was favored for the top link C62 hudsons, but also green and black were used

Nagoya, and Minouota (Gifu): Red

Maibara: Green