Yakumo, then and now: JR West’s 381 and 273 series

miyakoji

Two videos by railway consultant, and apparently former Meitetsu employee, Itsuki Nishiue.  Detailed looks at the inside and out, useful if you’re modeling either of these types, and I would imagine generally interesting to this audience :).  The 273 retains the tilting ability, which I thought would be eliminated.  Very appealing design overall.  And of course it’s great to have this document of the 381 as presumably none will be preserved :(.  If I’m reading correctly, the Kyoto Railway Museum doesn’t have a 381.  Hint hint.

Tony Galiani

Thanks for posting.  I have been watching Nimo5's videos as the 381 gives way to the 273 - neat to see another perspective.  A bit disappointed that no 381s will be saved.  I like the retro look (now that I sort of look retro myself....) and have gotten several models of the series.  I had been thinking that some would be kept on as a recent Japan Railway Journal highlighted how JR West was using some older trains as an attraction to bring train enthusiasts out to ride some trains.  Guess not though.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 1
miyakoji

I’m just guessing that none of these will be preserved.  I could be wrong.  JR Central has one at the Nagoya museum.  At least one could be displayed temporarily at the Kyoto museum on that track that comes in through the Umekoji yard, that wouldn’t surprise me.  They’ve had some interesting stuff in there for a few weeks at a time.  Now that I think about, I don’t recall seeing anything about plans to refresh the permanent collection.  I’ll have a look around.

Sacto1985

I really hope to see at least one JR West 381 Series train set end car preserved. It's been a long-serving train set in Japanese service (since 1973 originally on the Shinano service between Nagoya and Nagano). I believe they use a pendulum-type tilting mechanism, unlike the air suspension tilting mechanism used on the new 273 Series train set.

• Like 1
Sacto1985

YouTuber member nimo5 just posted a video of the last few days of operation of the 381 Series train sets in Yakumo service:

Being the oldest type of JNR era express train sets in service, they have served well over the years and finally get their deserved retirement. I believe the six-car 381 train set painted the old JNR express train colors will make a few excursion runs in middle August 2024 as their final runs. I hope to see that very train set preserved and put in a museum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1