Headlight control when coupling E353 with headlight decoders

theminer3746
Posted (edited)

Is there a way to turn off the head/tail light of car 3 and 4 when a 3-car and a 9-car set of E353 are coupled together?

I understand that to make the coupling more realistic I should add the open gangway door part and install the plastic spacer on both car to turn off the light, but I wonder if it's possible to do this in DCC.

Edited by theminer3746
theminer3746
3 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Yup a slider switch on the underneath of the cars. Has arrows on it.

That slider is replaced with the DCC decoder though

• theminer3746 changed the title to Headlight control when coupling E353 with headlight decoders
Takahama Trainwatcher

How are you running the train? Do you have 3 decoders (end lights x 2 + motor) in the 3-car set all set to a single address and likewise for the 9-car set to a different address? Are you then using "consisting" to try to run it all together?

theminer3746
8 hours ago, Takahama Trainwatcher said:

How are you running the train? Do you have 3 decoders (end lights x 2 + motor) in the 3-car set all set to a single address and likewise for the 9-car set to a different address? Are you then using "consisting" to try to run it all together?

Yes, all decoders on each set have the same address and I want use to consisting to combine the two trains

Kamome

I've also wondered how you'd need to set this up too. I've not yet made a leap into DCC but if so, will probably start with the Kato DCC ready options.

Essentially only turning off the the coupling ends head and tail lights. (turning off E5 car 10 and E6 Car 11, whilst keeping car 1 and 17 respective head/tail lights on) Would the coupling ends DCC addresses need to be different from the rest of the formation or are there decoders that allow more option than all on or all off in the multiple unit?

"Consisting" from what I've seen from You tube tutorials seems to be geared for locos whereby the head loco has a headlight and the trailing locos are all lights off. What would be best for EMU/DMU set ups?

Madsing

When using the Kato Digitrax 29-352 FL12 DCC Decoder, you can use CV61 and CV64 to choose which F function allows you to turn the headlights on and off. Either F0, F3 or F5. See the table below. F0 is the default value.

Screenshot2024-05-17at6_20_38AM.thumb.png.871969d4b8269897a1b35ca61c897de0.png

I have not tried that myself, but I assume you could program the two FL12 decoders at the coupling ends to react to a different function key (for example F3). This would allow you to use the F3 key function to switch off the corresponding headlights, while keeping the other two on.

Marc

• Like 5