Picture Album

Kitayama

Hi!

I have been in Japan six times and travelled all over the country. The 417 best of my railway pictures are published on internet at http://www.bae.se/kitayama/photoindex.htm. They may of interest for some readers of this forum.

My favorite spot - the intersection of Keihan lines and streets in Ôtsu, Shiga prefecture.

W030416-031.JPG

Wow interesting intersection indeed.  The road is so well kept instead of surface cracking around the rails.

Love your photo albums too!

Since you been to Japan 6 times already, I wonder which area is your favourite?  Also, which tram way do you like the best?

qwertyaardvark

Welcome to JNS! ^_^ Glad to see another person who had been to Kanazawa (my personal favorite place) :) And more praise for the photo album~

Wow interesting intersection indeed.  The road is so well kept instead of surface cracking around the rails.

Since you been to Japan 6 times already, I wonder which area is your favourite?  Also, which tram way do you like the best?

Very hard questions to answer - as all areas and trams have something :-)

Just to mention two tram networks: The most interesting tram network is in Hiroshima. Many lines, the interurban running to Miyajimaguchi, modern trams on most line, except on the extremely short No. 9. 

The trams in Kôchi are very charming and old-fashioned with wooden benches.

Areas: I like rural lines running in beautiful landscape. There are many of them in Japan if you leave Kansai and Kantô areas behind!

But the most fascinating with railways in Japan IMHO is ... not Shinkansen .. but the intensive traffic in Kantô (Tôkyô) and Kansai (Ôsaka-Kyôto).  As my wife is from a city along the Keihan line Ôsaka-Kyôto, I have much more expirence of the Kansai network. There are a number of non-JR companies there (Keihan, Kintetsu, Hanshin, Hankyu) that have very interesting traffic patterns with local/rapid/express trains. Perfect for those that like to run their model railway on schedule!

Ooh, those are some really nice pictures! You've visited some of the lines I'd like to see in the JR-East area, like the Aizu and Yagan RR and Kounan RR! I especially like the Aizu & Yagan pictures as they show the wide variety of trains that run on this beautiful line.

kitayama - I just finished looking through your album and are you a Rail fan!

I liked the photos of the Kurobe Gorge, the photos of the pink bridge are great. It really is a well organize and beautifully shot. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, thought I replied last night, but guess I didn't.

Albums look good. It's neat to see some of the places I visited prior to going and seeing rolling stock that was, and is long gone from the Kansai region.

Thanks for posting the pictures, and welcome to the forum. I just recently found your map site as well, and that's incredibly useful.

I've been enjoying the Tohoku and Hokuriku pictures.

Very hard questions to answer - as all areas and trams have something :-)

Just to mention two tram networks: The most interesting tram network is in Hiroshima. Many lines, the interurban running to Miyajimaguchi, modern trams on most line, except on the extremely short No. 9. 

The trams in Kôchi are very charming and old-fashioned with wooden benches.

Areas: I like rural lines running in beautiful landscape. There are many of them in Japan if you leave Kansai and Kantô areas behind!

But the most fascinating with railways in Japan IMHO is ... not Shinkansen .. but the intensive traffic in Kantô (Tôkyô) and Kansai (Ôsaka-Kyôto).  As my wife is from a city along the Keihan line Ôsaka-Kyôto, I have much more expirence of the Kansai network. There are a number of non-JR companies there (Keihan, Kintetsu, Hanshin, Hankyu) that have very interesting traffic patterns with local/rapid/express trains. Perfect for those that like to run their model railway on schedule!

You share my views on Japanese railfanning, at the risk of upsetting the Shinkansen fans I look at the Shinkansen mainly as a means of getting quickly to the more interesting things.

You have some good photos, I've been through that intersection in Ôtsu a few times but never stopped to take photos. I've had seven trips to Japan with number eight coming up in August and I make good use of your Rail Pages website.

You share my views on Japanese railfanning, at the risk of upsetting the Shinkansen fans I look at the Shinkansen mainly as a means of getting quickly to the more interesting things.

Yeeah... It's a tough life we have to live as non-Shinkansen-Japanese-railfans :laughing7:

Excellent photos Goran, thanks for posting them.

As an aside, I share the view expressed by yourself, Toni and Westfalen. Shinkansen don't do anything for me, perhaps we should start a sub-group?  :cheesy

All the best,

Mark.

Oh, and I really like your map site too, very useful!

CaptOblivious

A very nice album! I don't have enough photos of Takaosanguchi station on the Keio line. My wife and I climbed Takao-san for New Years 2006: A day not to be forgotten.

Mudkip Orange

As my wife is from a city along the Keihan line Ôsaka-Kyôto, I have much more expirence of the Kansai network. There are a number of non-JR companies there (Keihan, Kintetsu, Hanshin, Hankyu) that have very interesting traffic patterns with local/rapid/express trains. Perfect for those that like to run their model railway on schedule!

Keihan is what got me into Japanese trains. I like that of the three non-Shinkansen lines between Osaka and Kyoto, theirs is the both twistiest AND the fastest. But then you can do that with proper superelevation :P

I like this one:

http://bae.se/kitayama/photos/k_en_kurobe_7.htm

A pink bridge - not something you see here. And from this angle and distance, the electrics remind me of the old Milwaukee boxcabs.

And I find the composition here interesting, with the view down the street to the left while the trains close off the view on the right:

http://bae.se/kitayama/photos/k_en_tokyo_15.htm

Or maybe it's just the look of the street scene. I'm mildly agoraphobic. I regret living in one of the world's greatest examples of urban sprawl. I'd feel more comfortable standing on a street in Tokyo, even if the visual clutter was as great in reality as it seems in pictures.

Mudkip Orange

And from this angle and distance, the electrics remind me of the old Milwaukee boxcabs.

You should check out prewar JNR electrics. They ARE the old Milwaukee boxcabs.