Rectangular Layouts vs Long Single Table Width Layouts

cteno4

cteno4

RS,

no rush, no rush! That’s the fun with Ttrak you can just poke at it and a little time can get a lot done on a module. It’s not like trying to do a whole layout.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1
Falcon

Hello,

I am alone and have built a small layout with 6 modules to run my tank trains with diesel locomotives. I have a lot of fun !
Here is my helicopter shot.

Helicopter.jpg

• Like 3
cteno4

Falcon,

nice little layout! Shows what you can pack into a small Ttrak loop and pack away easily if you don’t have the space to keep it set up!

can you show us more if it?

cheers,

jeff

brill27mcb

It's fun to keep your brain busy, noodling away at different ways to set up home or display layouts and trying to break out of the standardized thinking that modules tend to create. That's one reason I continue to do non-permanent, tabletop layouts. To me, that's not something to outgrow -- it's something that can keep you going. By the way, I've been re-reading old posts from another discussion group, and 13 years ago Jeff expressed the thought that the small size of T-Trak really limited scenery options. Now he's fascinated by irregular layouts on strung-together, postage stamp-sized modules! An active mind keeps exploring and rethinking...

Rich K.

• Like 1
cteno4

Rich,

ha old thoughts! If you have the links for that could you send them? Would be interested in what I was thinking at the time. One issue I’ve always had with Ttrak is the scenes smushed up against each other and worry that chaos between scenes and how that affects the viewer’s impression. More of a sub conscious are things jumbled up. These are the things folks don’t consciously register, but can effect their takeaway memories and impression.

most public (non train) visitors don’t get that it’s not a set layout but a bunch of modules just popped together. We do try to be reasonable in scene transition module to module so many on first glance look like they are one scene, but as you look closer you notice things that transition abruptly or are off (like roads) between modules.

ive also been frustrated all scenery has to be plunked into a few sized and shapes with track in the same place on most all modules. This is why I stepped back and rethought things with the mini onetrak and not having standard module sizes and shapes or track location. It’s been really fun to think  about a scene and select the size and shaped module needed to fit that idea and where the single track should go for the scene. Also that the modules end up separated a bit and not butt up against each other. 

the rectangular layout design for Ttrak has re invigorated my interest in Ttrak, I had become very burned out on Ttrak and now I realize it was a number of those issues with the long skinny layouts that was causing that.

anyhow like you said it’s always fun to step back and rethink things, it’s funny I find that I’ve not done that enough in my hobby when it was a really standard loop in my exhibit work!

jeff