Scaling down an HO-scale structure to N-scale

DanielMackay

DanielMackay

Does anyone have general experience with adapting an HO-scale structure to N-scale? 

My reason for the ask is that I've purchased Faller's massive HO-scale Gripper Tunnel Borer. I bought it to adapt to N-scale, which I currently assess will primarily require replacing the 1:87 handrails and steps with PE or plastic in the 1:150 - 1:60 range. From reviewing the instructions, there are some additional work spaces that may need downsizing as well; I may build those first to assess.

Obviously this beast is going to look even more massive in an N-scale context than it does in HO, It builds to about four feet in length), but that only increases one's impression of the technology. Designed to cut a single width tunnel bore, I intend to depict this boring a 2-track bore (for which it is actually undersized, but so be it).

Intended use is in a double 3x TTrak module (perhaps increased to 15-16 inch depth), with active tracks in the foreground and the TBM working on a higher level cutting a new route. The module is in the design stage and I will post some in-development and build photos when I really dig into this summer 2024.

Here's a link to the Faller model (and accessory kits, not purchased): https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Landscape+%26+Decoration/Trade+%26+Industry/Faller-130900/gb/modell_403840.html

I'd welcome general comments and suggestions and any leads to handrail supplies. I project to need about 6 linear feet of rail.

Many thanks!

Wow that will be massive! Going to have it as a cutaway or just starting to bore? How much of the tailings trailer will you have? Guess is just starting to bore you don’t need a ton of tunnel plates.

from looking at it there does not see to be many things that are set human height other than the railings, so may work. Looks to be almost right for a double tunnel. Maybe have it like they want a second, parallel double tunnel (but then the TBM would need to be slightly lower than the foreground tracks)? Will the foreground track be partially a tunnel or all open? Being so big it makes it hard to really position anyplace but parallel to the tracks so the scene needs to make sense with it in parallel with the tracks.

guess you could also do a siding off of the inside track for flatcars to deliver tunnel panels and other supplies or haul away tailings. The gantry crane would be way oversized. Could modify an n scale gantry crane or just scratch build one.

one thing is few have ever see much of these machines, especially up close as a whole, usually you only see some small internal work areas or the cutter head.

will be fun to see what you come up with!

jeff

DanielMackay

Thanks for your interest, Jeff. I've been collecting so many cars, engines and train sets, I had to take the leap and join the Albany TTrak group here in Albany, NY. I don't have space or permission for a permanent layout in a house that, due to its age, presents some challenges for space (circa 1780). So Japanese-themed modules it is. One of the other long-time members builds most of his modules with European themes, so all this is acceptable to the club. A fairly generic 1x has track laid and basic scenery laid out. A 2x valley module features a collapsed single-track truss bridge adjacent to the working mainline and a barge and crane papercraft kit from Kofu Models. the second 1x is planned for a small Japanese town commercial row and townhouses behind. Two outside curve modules are planned to host tunnels and a shrine on forest terrain. I hope to have all of these ready for the clubs fall show schedule.

But three 2x3x modules are planned for larger scenes:

• Fall marsh scene representing the nearby Hudson River line used by Amtrak and CSX. It deserves a curved alignment up on the berm
  • Japanese urban passenger station, with lots of sidings for Shinkansen
  • The tunnel borer

Current planning for the latter includes a standard Ttrak two track tunnel entry on the far right, with tracks separating from parallel alignment underneath the scenery and one tunnel exiting to view before the other, suggesting an original single mainline, joined by a second, later mainline. These will curve into a non-standard connection into the second module and then both lines will re-enter tunnels, curve back to standard alignment and exit the left module. I imagine the tunnel borer creating a new alignment on a level above, about to start a major cut. I wish I could create as busy a scene as Faller has, but I just don't see all the accessories in N.

I have some flex track on order and will lay all this out and photograph the mock-up and post. 

Looking closely at the Faller kit, I can possibly just remove a railing height segment to get to half-size. Now wondering about inserting scratch steps between the HO scale ones, but this does not solve width.