Going to the Local Train Show

bill937ca

bill937ca

Every year there comes that special time, heading off to the local train show. Last year a long time friend from Toronto contracted me just before the show and said he and some friends were coming down to Belleville for the train show. It was great meeting with Andy again.

So, today was the day. First off to the a local coffee shop where I am fortified with coffee and bit of breakfast.   At the show I was looking around at the layouts and checking out the different vendors.  I picked up a couple of small items.

Then there was a book vendor in the middle of the first hall.  A couple of tall bookcases with oodles of books. Alas I already have a large library of tram, streetcar and other books. So many titles I already have. Then I spy a small magazine size book. My youth was filled with many traction books published by Harold D. Cox and this was one of those  I missed. The price is $5. A cool find!  But as I am paying I noticed the author's name: Richard D. Kerr.  The same Rich Kerr on this list!

It was a great train show followed by a great lunch back downtown.  Now I can curl up for some interesting reading.

It's a small world.  😁

IMG_20240323_0001.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2
brill27mcb

I've been found out...  😬

One of the fun things in the past was finding myself listed in the large "Books in Print" compendium that they used to have for reference in bookshops. Then, when Amazon was only an online bookstore, it would calculate a book's rank based on sales. This one was somewhere past the 1.2 millionth most popular book out there...

Rich K.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bill, great you got out to the show! Did you meet you with any friends?

ha very small world we have! Rich I didn’t know you were an author! Looks like something bill will really enjoy curling up with.

jeff

bill937ca
1 hour ago, brill27mcb said:

I've been found out...  😬

Very nice effort Rich!

bill937ca
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Bill, great you got out to the show! Did you meet you with any friends?

ha very small world we have! Rich I didn’t know you were an author! Looks like something bill will really enjoy curling up with.

jeff

No, no friends today. But I had a half-trip ride with a local bus driver and long time model railway club member this week.

I am a long time member of the Toronto Transportation Society and have written articles over the years for Transfer Points, the society's 18-20 page newsletter mostly on streetcar history.  Locally, there are at least 3 members and we exchange information.  😁

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
brill27mcb

Bill, you are this group's champ video-finder. Here's my chance to scoop you on one!

Ithaca trolleys filmed with 16mm camera just before the service closed forever:

This film was found, restored and converted by John "Dawk" Stillwell, another Ithaca trolley fan and an interesting guy, at his own expense.

By the way, $5 at the show was a great bargain for the book. $5 Canadian/Canadien was an even better bargain!

Rich K.

• Like 2
bill937ca
Posted (edited)

What a movie! Very impressive find!

Edited by bill937ca
bill937ca
11 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

By the way, $5 at the show was a great bargain for the book. $5 Canadian/Canadien was an even better bargain!

Sure was. When I Googled the title late last night (to see if there were any local stories) it came up on Amazon for $100 US and on eBay for $42 US and $33 US.  And I got it with no shipping charges.  😁