Twisted Tower.. N-scale

b.nice2000

b.nice2000

I often wonder how I might build one of those twisting type towers using 3D printing.

Then I realised the only problem, if built in layers, is the alignment of the next layer up... which I think I have figured out.

Built in layers like this, you could make it as tall as you wanted. 🙂

Comments ? 

(I still haven't done entry doors on the ground floor yet)

Twisted.JPG

Edited by b.nice2000
GeorgeHInch

I keep planning to start scratch building some taller towers since there are so few on the market. I’ve drawn up a few CAD files to laser cut but am in the process of building the actual layout base so it’s a little too “cart before the horse” to actually start I think. 

In the case of your building here I feel like your spiral might be too steep for the height of the building. It might feel a little more natural to give it a bit less drastic twist. (Fully acknowledging that is personal preference though. I recognize there are buildings like this out there, I just feel like these are less aesthetically pleasing compared to something that has more of a calming wave.)

I’d love to see your progress as you go though! 

b.nice2000
Posted (edited)

Hope you have looked at my other buildings on the pinned 3D structures resources page  

Thing with this one, is that I wanted a full 90 degree twist at the top, without being too tall.

This one has a 2 degrees twist per layer, so needs to be even taller to reach the 90 degree top twist.

Thinking about how I can twist the individual layers in TinkerCad (which is pretty limited on that sort of thing) so as to smooth out the steps.

Early days...  🙂

Edited by b.nice2000
b.nice2000
Posted (edited)

Another try..     Gotta be tall or a strong twist.

Fatter version added.  🙂   These are both 456mm tall, so  are not small structures

Twisted 2.JPG

Twisted 3.JPG

Edited by b.nice2000
improved base of model.
b.nice2000
Posted (edited)

A Twisted tower for N-scale.

Each layer is about a 4.5 degree twist, so need 19 floors + base for full 90 degree twist at the top.

This makes for quite a tall structure, but you can make it smaller, just won't twist to 90 degrees.

You could also make it a lot taller and twist a full 180 degree.. but that would be crazy !!!  🙂

Don't forget to put the windows inside as you build it upwards.

Available in thin and wide versions.

.stl files at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6535936

thin twisted.JPG

Wide twisted.JPG

Edited by b.nice2000
b.nice2000

Twisted building, printed in black/gold two-colour PLA silk..

Yellow transparent windows

Next to the base is an N-scale boxcar I made to give a size comparison.

make.JPG

• Like 2