Help: N scale model train shopping suggestions in Japan

ers22007799

ers22007799

Hi guys,

I am a new model train hobbyist, and so glad find this forum. I will visit Japan next month, including Tokyo and Osaka.

I got few questions to ask about N scale model train shopping in Japan.

1. Do the local store and its online store have the same stuff? Such as Super Kids Land HQ Osaka and its online store :https://joshinweb.jp/top.html

2. Looks like same stuff is cheaper in Osaka than in Tokyo.

3. I knew few store in Tokyo and Osaka, such as Popondetta and Yodobashi in Akihabara, Super Kids Land in Osaka. But are there any others stores you would recommend?

4. Are there any used or second-hand stores that must be visit?

Thank you so much.

GeorgeHInch

My personal favorite second hand store is Hobbyland Pochi. You will find these in most major cities. Akihabara has two but the one closer to the station has a little bit better pickings IMO. The Popondetta in Akihabara is in a five story building with a whole floor dedicated to second hand, so if you are looking for something specific I think this is the best place to start.

One annoying thing about these stores is that prices can vary wildly across them for essentially the same product. It can be helpful to just browse a couple stores before buying to see if one location has the best price. Super easy to do in Akihabara but less easy in cities where there isn't a five minute walk between stores.

• Like 1
GeorgeHInch

Oh and also worth noting, for the second hand stores if you buy a locomotive that comes in a jewel case or full train that comes in a bookcase, they have a test track to let you try it before you purchase. It can be a bit hard to manage this interaction if you don't speak Japanese but usually they will gesture towards it to give you the opportunity. I suggest you just do a quick run of the end and motor cars just to make sure it works as expected (though I've never had an issue.) 

Any of the locomotives/cars that you get out of a bin and are wrapped in the plastic sleeve you can't use on the test track. It's just kind of one of those "you get what you get" situations so make sure you inspect closely through the plastic sleeve before purchasing. I bought a Cassiopeia car from Hobbyland one time and when I got back and removed it from the sleeve I realized it was missing the window glazing on one side and not annotated on the package.

Edited by GeorgeHInch
  • Like 1
MeTheSwede

Welcome to the forum!

As for your questions 3 and 4, this recent thread should include some useful information for you on shopping in Tokyo:

• Like 2
Kingmeow

To add, some of the larger stores, e.g., Super Kids Land in Osaka and any Yodobashi, are Duty Free shops if you wave your passport.  Right there is a 10% off the shown prices.  Plus, when I was at SKL in Osaka back in September, using a VISA credit card gives you another 5% off.  I think that was a VISA promo.

Smaller shops like Popondetta does not offer Duty Free shopping (I asked).

To qualify for Duty Free, you have to spend a minimum.  I think it's $35USD (or was it $50?).

Edited by Kingmeow
  • Like 2
ers22007799

Thank you so much GeorgeHInch. I definitely will visit Hobbyland Pochi stores. I just browsed their website, hobbyland-pochi.net. Look likes they have a huge range of products. Do you have any ideas about their online store price and inventory compare with local store? 

On 3/15/2024 at 3:39 PM, GeorgeHInch said:

My personal favorite second hand store is Hobbyland Pochi. You will find these in most major cities. Akihabara has two but the one closer to the station has a little bit better pickings IMO. The Popondetta in Akihabara is in a five story building with a whole floor dedicated to second hand, so if you are looking for something specific I think this is the best place to start.

One annoying thing about these stores is that prices can vary wildly across them for essentially the same product. It can be helpful to just browse a couple stores before buying to see if one location has the best price. Super easy to do in Akihabara but less easy in cities where there isn't a five minute walk between stores.

ers22007799
Posted (edited)

Thank you so much MeTheSwede. I already went through that thread. It is very helpful.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:02 PM, MeTheSwede said:

Welcome to the forum!

As for your questions 3 and 4, this recent thread should include some useful information for you on shopping in Tokyo:

Edited by ers22007799
  • Like 1
ers22007799

Hi Kingmeow, I really appreciate your input. I will go to Osaka at end of my trip. Properly I will buy lots of tracks, new locos and parts, Duty-free and Visa discounts are great savings. Another thing about SKL, looks likes their online store price is lower than Yodobashi and Popondetta.  Are the prices at their local stores the same as online?

On 3/15/2024 at 10:18 PM, Kingmeow said:

To add, some of the larger stores, e.g., Super Kids Land in Osaka and any Yodobashi, are Duty Free shops if you wave your passport.  Right there is a 10% off the shown prices.  Plus, when I was at SKL in Osaka back in September, using a VISA credit card gives you another 5% off.  I think that was a VISA promo.

Smaller shops like Popondetta does not offer Duty Free shopping (I asked).

To qualify for Duty Free, you have to spend a minimum.  I think it's $35USD (or was it $50?).

Kingmeow
3 hours ago, ers22007799 said:

Hi Kingmeow, I really appreciate your input. I will go to Osaka at end of my trip. Properly I will buy lots of tracks, new locos and parts, Duty-free and Visa discounts are great savings. Another thing about SKL, looks likes their online store price is lower than Yodobashi and Popondetta.  Are the prices at their local stores the same as online?

I never did compare online vs. in person but I did notice that SKL's prices are often times lower than Popondetta and Yodobshi.  When I was there I picked up a Tomix Mickey Mouse (Waku Waku) 800 series Shinkansen set for Y5000 cheaper than Popondetta as it was on sale at SKL.  Plus the Duty Free and 5% VISA and it was quite a difference in price since Popondetta is not Duty Free.

• Like 1
GeorgeHInch
6 hours ago, ers22007799 said:

Thank you so much GeorgeHInch. I definitely will visit Hobbyland Pochi stores. I just browsed their website, hobbyland-pochi.net. Look likes they have a huge range of products. Do you have any ideas about their online store price and inventory compare with local store? 

I'm not really sure. I don't tend to shop second hand from the US, only when I'm there. Considering their prices for the same item differ store to store, I wouldn't be surprised if they also differed from their online shop. If I remember correctly their online store is just an aggregate of some of their products from multiple of their stores though so the price would be the same as at least one of the stores in Japan.

• Like 1
DenshaTen

If you are near it I recommend checking out Supa Rajikon in Osaka. While they are primarily a RC car store (the absolute best one too if you're into RC) they also have a decent model train section that is well priced AND they do tax free if you have your passport with you. There's a couple of smaller model train stores on the street in Osaka that has all the hobby stuff that are worth checking out (same street as a Popendetta).

• Like 1
On 3/16/2024 at 3:01 AM, ers22007799 said:

3. I knew few store in Tokyo and Osaka, such as Popondetta and Yodobashi in Akihabara, Super Kids Land in Osaka. But are there any others stores you would recommend?

Hi, I just got back from Japan. I went to a few shops, which have all been mentioned, but if you have the time, try to get to the Kato showroom (Hobby Centre Kato) in Shinjuku https://www.gotokyo.org/en/spot/924/index.html

Nothing second hand there (I think) but everything Kato and a few other products too.