Table size

Dillon

I don’t know if this is the right platform number to be in, but I have a question, I’m planning to buy a table for future events/conventions, like my local comic con operation, and I’m planning to buy a table.

It’s a simple small oval track, and I’m planning to operate it at conventions like what JRM did at Otakon, albeit, much smaller. I found a table that I feel like my layout can fit in, but I’m not to sure(here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CJ4VTMGT/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A10PRH2DFOVNA8&psc=1), it’s 34x34 and I measured the small layout I did, and I feel like it would fit, but I feel like it would hang out if the edge.

Is the table too small or big?

IMG_2722.jpeg

Edited by Dillon
bill937ca

A banquet table is 30 x 60 inches.  I had a layout table of that size for years. With Tomix track I could do R280 and R317 loops.  Double elevated track was more of a challenge because of wider curves. I never ran Shinkansens. For that you would probably need at least 36 x 60 inches.

Trains would make that table vibrate and the laminate top would not absorb the noise. You would need some kind of underlay beneath the track.

Edited by bill937ca
2 hours ago, katoftw said:

Without knowing the size of the loop. I doubt anyone can answer that for you.

I did say that it was the similar length to the table I linked with, 33-34 inches.

23 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Trains would make that table vibrate and the laminate top would not absorb the noise. You would need some kind of underlay beneath the track.

That I could solve for another time, though, the thing is that the office event table is the only option that is easy to carry, unless you recommend a table that is easy to carry and could fit a 34 inch layout on it.

One way would be to download AnyRail trial version for free. You can test fit your layout design very simply and see what works. If you're limited to find a mobile table first, you can then plan what track will work and it will give you the part numbers.

To answer your question, the set up you have shown won't fit, as far as I can see. I have used metric but the measurement is the same. 34 inch = 863.6mm

It's not easy to see from your photo. You have an empty package for Kato R282-45 degree curves so I am going to assume you have used these in your design. From what I can see you have used a 248mm straight and 62mm feeder/straight on each side which is where you have the problem. If you reduce the straight length, it will fit.

layout.thumb.png.e225491032ec6d0208f4651593d9dbb8.png

I might add that your  initial inquiry didn't supply enough information to help others help you. The members of this forum are all extremely friendly, have great knowledge across all spectrums of Railway modelling amongst other things, but won't be able to address you concerns without suitable data. I have assisted you based on my assumptions of what you have shown in your photo only, which may or may not be correct. Anyway, I hope this helps and you can find a suitable table or redesign your trackwork to accommodate the space available. Kato also produce a R249-45 degree curve if you wanted to add a second track on the inside. You would need shorter wheelbase stock to navigate these happily however. No Shinkansens!

Edited by Kamome

I do appreciate the help with the last post, I was a little off that day and I’m not good at socializing as well(with many other things), so apologies if I sounded annoyed on words, but I do thanked the forum members for their help, I do apologies for not giving a lot of information, since I hate to admit, I like to speed run on my posts, but thanks anyway.

So a little update on the table size, which was basically a redo of the measure of the small layout, and a little more information, so to start on why the simple oval track layout, is because I like to keep simplicity(also I didn’t have a lot of money)and since I already have the tracks for it, I decided to kept that design, I like operating my 4-8-4s so having that extra 248mm straight track made the layout more appealing, and the 4-8-4 could fit perfectly on the single track.

The tracks are your typical 248mm straight track, with the curves being R282-45, the feeder track is 62mm, simple really. For anyone asking, there would be no double track operation, just a single track operation, because I prefer operating that way no offense.

The measurements are made by using a simple a measuring tape and a ruler, basically, old fashioned way, but for this small layout, I didn’t know AnyRail exists, but I’ll used that in the future, I measured this a coupling times, and I got the same results;

Length is around 34 inches

Width is around 22 inches

I looked through online and Amazon to find a find a table that would accommodate the size, and the reason why I want a smaller table is mostly because it’s easier to carry and I could put this in my closet without any trouble.

I found a table on Amazon which was a 36X36 event table, which seems like a good size(I’m worry that my layout would hang off the edge)it looks easy to carrier and perfect for the small layout, and why do all this work? Mostly because I like to operate at conventions(anime or comic conventions) or hosting my own little events(like the anime postcards display post in the off topic section). And finding a good table size is important to me since a place like Coffee N Comics(a pop culture coffee shop in my state, Reno-Sparks, Nevada)won’t have a table available for me, so having my own personal table would beat those challenges.

For anyone asking, I am planning to have a board over it, desert theme of course, when I get the table.

There would be a part 3 for this.

IMG_2735.jpeg

• Dillon changed the title to Table size, more informative

No worries Dillon. We just tend to be a bit more slowed down and in depth here on the forums and many folks willing to share and help out, they just need good data to start with.

We use the 24”x48” version of that folding table for old 25mm Ttrak modules and little loops for kids to run. These plastic folding tables won’t vibrate, sound is no problem with them if you put track right on top of it. But I would use a sheet or table cloth to cover the table for both look and to help prevent sliding. The plastic tops are a bit slick with other plastic things like track so can easily slide around. Tablecloth (read bedsheet) does wonders for any vibration and track noise.

check with the venue as most shows have tables at the venue already. Usually 24” or 30” wide banquet/convention tables. At venues they are almost always 6’ or 8’ lengths.

These folding plastic tables are not lightweight to schlep around. The ones that fold in two have little handles, but they can just be awkward to carry any distance. The 30x60” folding table is especially heavy. the 34”x34” is nice that it folds smaller but I would not have any track hanging off the ends or within a couple inches of the edge, just asking for trouble.

Also the folding plastic tables are just a PITA in the back of the car as they slide around easily and anything stacked on top of them slides well now.

i would really see about using larger tables at the venue if you can. If you do buy a table don’t go small. A couple of people and the table is totally surrounded. Also unless you have something larger on the table like Ttrak modules folks will reflexively put their had on the edge of the table and even lean on it. So you want to keep trains away from the public edges by a couple of inches.

if you are building a base for the track, that will end up like 36”x24” with track near the edges. That’s getting on the large size to transport and carry. You can just float the layout base on top of a smaller table, but I would make some sort of stop or clamp to make sure the base doesn’t slide around on the table top.

you might thing of cutting your base into two halves for easier transport and storage. Also might want to think about the mini onetrak concept using the little wooden canvases you can buy very inexpensively. Would let you do a variety scenes easily and maybe mix and match scenes depending on the venue or grow or shrink the loop size. On a 30” banquet table you can also wander the track around some using the shirt 15 degree curves and not a hard oval. Easier to pack up small modules into some plastic storage boxes than deal with trying to protect a bigger base for transport and storage. The bigger the module, usually the more wasted volume trying to find premade boxes to store them in and you end up having to create custom storage cases. Also a bunch of different scenes will probably attract more eyeballs at a non train show, especially at an anime con where folks are most into that with our displays. The mini onetrak concept flips doing the scenes on their head, instead of trying to fit your scene onto a set module or space you just select the module size and aspect ratio that fits your scene idea. Then even put the piece of track on the module where it best suits the scene, not in the same place on all modules. It’s kind of the opposite of the ususally model train process and lends itself better to a lot of creativity and variety as you can vary the layout each setup—both which your anime audiences will eat up!

what trains do you intend to run?

jeff

36 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

No worries Dillon. We just tend to be a bit more slowed down and in depth here on the forums and many folks willing to share and help out, they just need good data to start with.

We use the 24”x48” version of that folding table for old 25mm Ttrak modules and little loops for kids to run. These plastic folding tables won’t vibrate, sound is no problem with them if you put track right on top of it. But I would use a sheet or table cloth to cover the table for both look and to help prevent sliding. The plastic tops are a bit slick with other plastic things like track so can easily slide around. Tablecloth (read bedsheet) does wonders for any vibration and track noise.

check with the venue as most shows have tables at the venue already. Usually 24” or 30” wide banquet/convention tables. At venues they are almost always 6’ or 8’ lengths.

These folding plastic tables are not lightweight to schlep around. The ones that fold in two have little handles, but they can just be awkward to carry any distance. The 30x60” folding table is especially heavy. the 34”x34” is nice that it folds smaller but I would not have any track hanging off the ends or within a couple inches of the edge, just asking for trouble.

Also the folding plastic tables are just a PITA in the back of the car as they slide around easily and anything stacked on top of them slides well now.

i would really see about using larger tables at the venue if you can. If you do buy a table don’t go small. A couple of people and the table is totally surrounded. Also unless you have something larger on the table like Ttrak modules folks will reflexively put their had on the edge of the table and even lean on it. So you want to keep trains away from the public edges by a couple of inches.

if you are building a base for the track, that will end up like 36”x24” with track near the edges. That’s getting on the large size to transport and carry. You can just float the layout base on top of a smaller table, but I would make some sort of stop or clamp to make sure the base doesn’t slide around on the table top.

you might thing of cutting your base into two halves for easier transport and storage. Also might want to think about the mini onetrak concept using the little wooden canvases you can buy very inexpensively. Would let you do a variety scenes easily and maybe mix and match scenes depending on the venue or grow or shrink the loop size. On a 30” banquet table you can also wander the track around some using the shirt 15 degree curves and not a hard oval. Easier to pack up small modules into some plastic storage boxes than deal with trying to protect a bigger base for transport and storage. The bigger the module, usually the more wasted volume trying to find premade boxes to store them in and you end up having to create custom storage cases. Also a bunch of different scenes will probably attract more eyeballs at a non train show, especially at an anime con where folks are most into that with our displays. The mini onetrak concept flips doing the scenes on their head, instead of trying to fit your scene onto a set module or space you just select the module size and aspect ratio that fits your scene idea. Then even put the piece of track on the module where it best suits the scene, not in the same place on all modules. It’s kind of the opposite of the ususally model train process and lends itself better to a lot of creativity and variety as you can vary the layout each setup—both which your anime audiences will eat up!

what trains do you intend to run?

jeff

I always tend to run Union/Southern Pacific Steam on the small layout, mostly 4-8-4s, short passenger excursion services. I was originally thinking of getting a desert mat to fit the theme, though I’ve been told that isn’t professional, but table cloth doesn’t seem a bad idea.

My original idea/plan A is just to operate the tracks right onto the table, like you said, and probably have a sheet or table cloth, maybe I’m basing this off on train shows, I always seen that one layout that has nothing on it, just a loop and the trains running. I’ve seen this at JAM(International Model Railroad Convention)as well in videos.

Plan B, is make desert layout with plywood and put it on the table since The Little Nevada is in…well Nevada.

The wooden canvases doesn’t seem like a bad idea, I might consider that in the near future. The local comic con already provided me for a table, which is nice, it’s a small convention, and they’re happy to have and my layout.

The 36x36 is still tempting though, it feels like the right size for my layout, I don’t know if Office Depot have 36x36 tables in their stores, in person purchased is always nice because if you don’t like the item, you could always return it.

This is mostly for future events since I always like to show off my models to the public, and having an easy setup wouldn’t stress me out too much, I do enjoy operating small layouts for both easier and aesthetic pleasing. 

Hi @Dillon No offense taken. And always happy to help. There are forums (some modelling) that have plenty of hostile keyboard jockeys happy to pile on people asking legitimate questions. This certainly isn't that kind of place and I think you'll really like this forum, a great bunch of people.

Great I pointed you in the direction of Anyrail. The free version allows you to construct design up to 50 pieces of track. I find some things on the software are not the most intuitive, but once you get used to its quirks and limitations, it becomes quite useful. What I didn't mention was that it is for Windows PCs and currently as no support for Mac.

Anyway, all the best with layout. There are a good few members who also have avid interest in Anime and comics so you're amongst good company. Please post photos of your progress and your set ups at conventions.