Scrapping trains: modeling end of life

GeorgeHInch

GeorgeHInch

On a previous trip to Japan I stopped by the main Kato store/factory where they had a collection of surplus parts in bins. I bought a few 185系 shells as well as some other random parts because they were all ¥100. I plan on using this to be weathered and shown as being in the process of scrapping. (Sorry to those of you fond of this train!)

Does anyone have:

1) reference photos you’ve taken of trains being scrapped in Japan. A few show up on Twitter from time to time but nothing I can reliably search back through.

2) model photos where you’ve shown the scrapping process on your layout

IMG_0046.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

• Like 2

At the railworks near me, train body scrapping takes place on a back area of the yard using a mid sized Kobelco excavator with a claw attachment instead of a bucket. 

There are piles of various materials that have been removed prior such as some under box equipment and seat cushions etc..

You can also type scrap into katakana to give you some visual reference.

電車スクラップ

(densha scrap)

Try searching the forums, there have been a lot of posts over they years about trains being scrapped and many have videos and photos linked to them of the process, Tomytec even made one of their articulated arm shovels with the pincer end for scrapping that’s used in scrapping buildings and trains.

cheers

jeff