2024 Arnold Duewag GT6

bill937ca

bill937ca

The Arnold Duewag GT6 has arrived at Euro dealers like DM-Toys.

https://www.dm-toys.de/de/liste/hersteller/Arnold/kategorie/rollmaterial_strassenbahnen.html

A couple of notes on these Arnold trams.  My older Arnold Duewag trams are power hogs and probably require more power than a Tomix power pack puts out. Second, DM Toys states a minimum radius of 192mm which is beyond both Unitram and Tomix Wide Tram maximum radius. Buyer beware.

This model is available in either DCC or analog.

brill27mcb

The older Arnold GT6 tram models aren't "power hogs" in terms of needing a lot of wattage. They DO require a higher than typical voltage to run, but still fall well within 1 amp of current drawn. On the "voltage needed" spectrum, though, they are at the opposite end from the speedy Tomytec chassis designs. Without using an ammeter, I will guess that they might also be within the capability of Tomix's smaller 0.6 amp power supplies. The newer Arnold chassis consumes less power than the older one. All of mine are without digital decoders.

I really like these Arnold GT6 models and have a large collection of both the old and the new chassis designs. Both run fine around my Tomix 140mm radius "Mini" curves. I'm guessing that the 192mm radius that DM Toys mentions is the smallest radius track of Arnold or some other German/European track manufacturer.

Rich K.

• Like 1
brill27mcb

[cross-posted from the groups.io/g/nscaletraction group]

I recently received my first two 2024-issue Arnold models of the articulated Duewag GT6 tram. It turns out that Arnold, without appearing to mention it, has introduced a new body style with these models. All previous models were double-ended, with a double-single-double-single door arrangement on each side (left to right). These new models are single-ended, with 4 double-doors on one side and no doors on the other side. They also have a sloped, recessed windshield (the older models had flush vertical windshields) and a different rear window. In addition, one model has the normal parallelogram pantograph, while the other has a newer lever-arm design pantograph.

Both body styles exist on real Duewag trams, although Arnold doesn't appear to have been true-to-prototype in what paint schemes it has applied to which body variation. Nonetheless, this new body shell came as a surprise, and now there are two model styles to choose from!

Arnold HN2602 Vienna:
Arnold-HN2602-Vienna-frontandcurbside-RK.thumb.jpg.8248e1152751d5f5aec8ec95da482b17.jpg

Arnold-HN2602-Vienna-rearandstreetside-RK.thumb.jpg.9933e4900cedbab8958cf8434ba8b8d8.jpg

Arnold HN-2603 (left) and older HN-2112 (right), both Essen, nose-to-nose for comparison:

Arnold-HN2603-Essen-and-HN2112-Essen-end-to-end-1-RK.thumb.jpg.fb5a16770bbfa2253a0f05d382897cec.jpg

Rich K.

bill937ca

Wiener Linien E1 4801 was manufactured in 1973 by SGP Simmering in Austria under license. It was retired July 10th, 2017. The last E1 was retired July 1, 2022.

The only difference I see the lack of a free standing roof signal disc route indicator, bur that would probably just break off.

https://www.strassenbahnjournal.at/wiki/index.php?title=Dachsignalscheibe

None of the Vienna E1s were built by Duewag.  All were either built by Lohner or SGP  Simmering.

https://xover.mud.at/~tramway/stvkr-a-wiki/index.php/Type_E1_(Wien,_1966-2023)

Photo of 4801 at the end of route 5.   https://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/oesterreich~stadtverkehr~strasenbahn-wien/1015861/wien-wiener-linien-sl-5-e1.html

Edited by bill937ca
brill27mcb

I'm far from an expert on European tram fleets, but I have found photos online that show Duewag GT6 trams matching the newer Arnold body shell design in use in Duesseldorf, Essen, Innsbruck, Mainz and Rheinbahn.

I have found photos of trams matching the older Arnold GT6 design in use in Bochum (including the Javaanse Jongens and Jaegermeister ad wraps),  Bogestra (including the Bogie Party Bahn wrap),  CGTE, Essen, Gotha, Heidelberg, de Lijn, and Lille.

Is "Type E1" just a Vienna designation, or a general designation by Duewag? I'm curious if Duewag has a suffix or something like that to differentiate between these two GT6 designs.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb
bill937ca
8 minutes ago, brill27mcb said:

Is "Type E1" just a Vienna designation, or a general designation by Duewag? I'm curious if Duewag has a suffix or something like that to differentiate between these two GT6 designs.

Rich K.

It is a Vienna designation. Before the E1 there were similar E and more modern E2 are still running until their licenses run out by 2025.

German language Wikipedia article:  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straßenbahn_Wien_Type_E

There were 331 E1s, 89 Es and 122 E2s.  So there is a very large pool to draw from 

Edited by bill937ca
bill937ca

The ex-Vienna trams can be found running in Krakow.  More color schemes for Arnold to produce.

bill937ca

There are also modernized ex-Vienna E1s running in  Katowice, Poland. The weeded over private-right-of-way lines make me think of Philadelphia.

Edited by bill937ca
brill27mcb

On my trainweb.org/n-trolleys resource website (updated today), I've decided to call them the "Bi-directional version" and the "Uni-directional version" of the Duewag GT6, for the time being. Wikipedia does not have a write-up for the GT6 trams.

Rich K.