Replacement couplers for KATO Yamaguchi-go' 5 Cars Set

Mutro

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know the KATO part number of the replacement couplers for this set, and where to get them?  I ordered a set (Kato 11-731 Coupler Tight #2 Short) and they turned out to be the wrong type. 

Thanks!

Thanks, I tried that before, but unfortunately the link to the ASSY table returns an error message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access Denied</Message>

<RequestId>T0DTZGK8FEEH51DW</RequestId>

<HostId>L9pCtd4dG6/vmpxAXHoXCk+7gZB9HQ0EhYHtCNedSicVlshOmzb9tpFzcXSfabmqc4NO1xJvhWQ=</HostId>

</Error>

You should have a set of knuckle couplers to replace the Rapido ones for the two loco ends included in the Kato 10-1500 set. The intermediate coach couplers are a different type for close coupling to stay in a rake of 5 (taken from the Kiha 82 model) which you cannot change the coupler on without replacing the whole assembly.  What kind of couplers did you want to use and was it just for the 2 main ends or to be able to separate each coach individually?

Replacement parts - (like for like replacements)

Kiha 82 type for the intermediate coach couplings 6062C3

Loco end knuckle couplers Z01-0239, if you wanted shorter options look for 28-272-1 for black or 28-272-2 for grey from Hobby Center Kato

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!  I needed to replace the intermediate coach couplers which drop off quite often, really hard to find on the layout when they do, and takes me a     l  o  n  g     time to reassemble. As you know, they are quite temperamental when it comes to coupling and uncoupling. They look nice but they are just too fiddly!  The 6062C3 were not widely available but I was able to source it at PlazaJapan and should be delivered hopefully in a week or so.  I was not happy to see that my 485 Series Early Type also has similar but slightly different body mounted close couplers. Actually I'd be happy to replace all of them with couplers that are more durable and not so demanding (I'm not too particular about prototype appearance)  If you know of a reasonably easy replacement couplers, I'd be a happy camper.

katoftw

Weird. I am having zero issues with mine. If you were having an issue with one. I'd say manufacturer fault. If you are having issues with multiple, I'd suggest user error.

disturbman

Perhaps you should review the user manual on how to couple/uncouple the couplers and take a close look at the couplers. Perhaps one is broken, it happens, but it's also possible you have been incorrectly handling them. Which can lead to damage to the couplers (notably the parts that couple together). The way you are describing them "dropping off" often, leads me to think that you may have mishandled them and broke some parts.

I personally never had any issues with Japanese kinematic close-couplers and they are normally very reliable. They certainly never "drop off" randomly.

Edited by disturbman
On 3/5/2024 at 12:19 AM, disturbman said:

I understand that these couplers should be coupled and uncoupled only while on a straight track, but they continue to drop off on different cars from time to time.  Upon close inspection, all the tiny parts seem to be undamaged.  Someone on the forum said these body-mounted close couplers are too "fiddly"... (I have another f-word for these.) Well at least I'm now very adept at replacing them.  Still looking for a more robust replacements.

RandomCouplerDroppingOff1.thumb.jpg.5fad11cd2f7db57f39ee8ad2c2d30244.jpg

RandomCouplerDroppingOff2.jpg

katoftw

That's not the coupler, but the coupler housing.

I have probably 200 carriages with these couplers. And I don't have one house dropping off the car chassis.

Something with either wrong with your coupler housings or the chassis. You've got structural issues with the housing or chassis. No replace couplers are gonna fix that.

The housing has 2 clips to hold them to the chassis though 2 rectangular holes. Either the clips are worn or the holes have been enlarged.

disturbman

So did you find out what was happening or... ?

Edited by disturbman

This is an odd one, never had coupler boxes drop off like that in use. Was it a new set or used? I’m wondering if it was a used set and someone swapped the rapido to the knuckle couplers they messed up the clips that hold the boxes onto the frame as Katofw has suggested.

can you add some close up pictures on the coupler box and the carriage underside where the box fits?

really had no issues with any of my Kato swing knuckle couplers like this.

ill pm you the instruction sheet that didn’t download for you.

jeff

Check the coupler housing. I had that issue on one train only (Watertender of the Kato BigBoy), turned out I had broken a nose of the housing so it always dropped down. Reason was probably myself even, I admit I coupled it a tad too "hard".

Maybe you broke yours too, or you have a manufacturing defect on the housing, plastic is soo flimsy I could see that as well.

When tabs get that tiny they do get fragile and need a lot of care when removing or attaching. To make them sturdy then requires them to be pretty bulky which then makes the hosing look way oversized. They are pretty tiny! 

jeff

I’ve had a couple of these couplers come apart on me over the years but mostly requiring reassembly after shipping.

One I needed to glue the tabs to keep the thing together. Just a slight tolerance issue or maybe bent tab in factory assembly.

Better to do this with the whole assembly off the coach.  But considering they’re used on a good portion of my many blue trains amongst other rolling stock, 1 or 2 out of about 70 coaches is pretty good. 

disturbman

Yes, in case of broken tabs on the underside of the carriages, the solution would be to glue the coupler housing to them.