Heading to Japan

PDXTrains

PDXTrains

Heading to Japan in a week: Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima.

Obviously the huge Kato store in Tokyo is on the list.

Any other suggestions of must see shopping train stores?

Thanks

T

MeTheSwede

There's an entire forum section here about model train stores, so I suggest you look around there.

In Akihabara there's a big cluster of model train stores and you could easily spend a day there walking between different stores if you want to. During my last visit however, I spent 2½ hours at the 5 story Popondetta Akihabara store and then I felt I had done enough shopping for the day. On my next visit to Akihabara I want to visit more stores.

• Like 1
SwallowAngel

Not a shop but, the railway museum in Kyoto is always worth a visit for train fans.

Anyhow, while not too much to see/buy, the KATO Kyoto store is worth a quick peek, especially since it's located within Kyoto station. It carries some interesting models exclusive to it, though pricey...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SwallowAngel said:

Not a shop but, the railway museum in Kyoto is always worth a visit for train fans.

Anyhow, while not too much to see/buy, the KATO Kyoto store is worth a quick peek, especially since it's located within Kyoto station. It carries some interesting models exclusive to it, though pricey...

The museum itself has an interesting shop on the way out that has some interesting museum labeled cars etc.  Just be aware once you leave the shop I don't think you can get back into the museum. It's one of those shops that you pass through on the way out IIRC.

Omiya also has a railway museum and is only a quick hop from Tokyo.

SwallowAngel

Actually the museum itself is pretty sparse in terms of models, they only have a set of all Shinkansen cars from Tomix and a few other things when I visited back in May `23. The merch is interesting though, so if you like all of your accessoires train themed, that’s the place to go