Kit-bashing/freelancing

After being inspired by Mudkip Orange's paper platform and all the stuff going on with the Sankei paper craft releases and such, I decided to do some kitbashing myself. I've already experimented a bit with 120g/m paper, but that wasn't really satifying me. It looked crumpy, fell apart quickly and rather dull. Even when coloured. So, yesterday I went to an office supply shop in town (Karthaus) and got myself some glue and a few huge sheets of thick coloured paper. Altogether around €8,50.

The results of my work in progress can be seen below. They are just simple models with little detail, maybe something like a beginning architect would make.

The first thing I built was an engine shed. It's rather large, but that's because I wanted to provide room for two 2-car multiple units. If placed in a correct way the size doesn't really matter. The walls and roof are still going to be detailed with a second layer to simulate shingles, doors and wood-parts.

The second picture shows the shed in an incorrect position in the latest extension of my semi-permanent layout. In the length, blocking the view of the passenger platform, etc.

After the shed I started working on middle-platforms, as I only have a few side-platforms from Tomytec. Not satisfying if you're planning 3 stations on one layout. The platforms themselves aren't very complicated. The roof stands on wooden sticks that are intended for skewing foodstuffs above the grill, but have received a total new dimension. They are even the correct diameter for N-gauge use. I could also use them for other purposes of course. The platform with the white stripes was an experiment. White stripes and other details will be added later on all paper models.

Plans for other buildings are:

- Station buildings (2x) in different styles: concrete and wood;

- More platforms;

- Housing in Shouwa-style;

- Coal shute;

- Industrial buildings.

Are here more people who kitbash or freelance? It's a great past-time that doesn't require much money and effort. It really makes the hobby come alive, even on a tight budget!

post-224-13569923900987_thumb.jpg

post-224-13569923901661_thumb.jpg

post-224-135699239023_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I do. Most recently got involved in really large scales.....

right now I'm interested in 1/12th scale. Got into that being a member at the 7/8ths forum.

Most of the modelers there work with 7/8ths scale (7/8ths inch = 1 foot) which works out to

1/13.7 scale. I figured bumping it up a bit to 1/12th just made it easier.....no calculations to

do....and I have two 1/12th sacle figures I can use as drivers for the locomotives. The 7/8ths

forum is all about narrow gauge, so the trains aren't quite as large as you might think.

Not much of anything available commercially in 7/8ths or 1/12th...mostly builders scales. There

are quite a few that build with paper and cardstock. Some even make locos and rolling stock with

it. Often laminated sections of several layers of paper.

I also belong to Gnatterbox....another narrow gauge forum. This one most people model 1/24th

scale on HO gauge track making it 15 inch gauge.....so mostly industrial narrow gauge models.

at this forum also many people model in paper and card.

Definitely worth taking a look if for nothing else just to see techniques used. The 7/8ths forum

address is 7-8ths.info and Gnatterbox is GN15.info

I haven't actually built anything in 1/12 yet.....still making drawings and acquiring materials.

underworld

The weight of the paper was 300g/m Not very heavy, but worth the money. I have to say I've made reinforcements on some parts as the paper still bends like crazy, but I think if one uses different layers, this won't happen very often.

My next project will be station buildings or a footbridge. Here I'll try to work more according to a plan and try top use layers.

It's astaunishing what little investment can reproduce such a massive number of buildings! It's certanly worth the try and it'll surely save you a mountain of cash, which can be invested in rtr models again! Next to that, one receives a unique set of buildings of which one feels very content after completing one. It's a pure win-win situation! :grin Dang! I think I've got the hang of this!

Very not bad!

Thanks! You've inspired me after all. Saves loads of money! I think you could try it too with some better quality materials. The construction of the pillars of your platform had me thinking for a while, but then I found an alternative in kitchen/bbq utensils  :laugh:

Not structures....but something we can all use more of......

CONTAINERS!!!

http://www.igshansa.de/igsorg.html

Lots of downloadable printable containers. All are available in HO.....many in N

and I think all are available in 1:100 and 1:200. Very affordable way to make

a lot of shipping containers for not a lot of money!!!

underworld

Bernard, I've already downloaded some paper craft models from JR West and other Japanese sites for scaling up  :grin....intend to transfer it to styrene.

Max