Hello!

BrakeCoach

BrakeCoach

I'm a modeller from Korea currently living in the US.

I collect Japanese and British N scale models as well as British OO. I own several shinkansen sets (100 Grand Hikari, 700, E2, E5, E6) as well as some conventional rail rolling stock. I think I like the series 100 and the Iida line old electrics the most.

I do some 3D modelling as well, but I haven't finished any of the projects just yet.

IMG_42342.thumb.JPG.7f0ee822f6d79c38d6111a30a6624386.JPG
(taken from a model shop in Korea, the E231 is mine)

IMG_15292.thumb.JPG.47ee34f759ad9a8fec2589f2a4229a83.JPG

IMG_4101.thumb.JPG.7800567357e64f20910c3fd3b37bd401.JPG

(in Osaka Re-Color)

Edited by BrakeCoach
  • Like 8

Welcome BrakeCoach, glad you found us. Very interesting to see your Korean models!

jeff

• Like 2
BrakeCoach
19 hours ago, Madsing said:

Welcome @BrakeCoach!

Nice photos. There are model train shops in Korea? Anyone in Seoul?

The model shop the photo was taken is from TheTrain, a model shop specializing in Japanese N scale models, in Yongsan district.

Theres also Bahnhada, which specializes in European HO scale models, in Bucheon, just outside of Seoul.

When I last visited there (mid January) Bahnhada almost completed their huge HO scale layout, and I had the privilege to put some of my trains on there.

IMG_8068.thumb.JPG.188b21eb290b3f29987a9187580f891c.JPG

These are the two that I have visited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @BrakeCoach is TheTrain in a shopping mall near some cinemas? I think I visited there in November last year. They had a H0 model of a Korail GT26CW-2 in the cabinet but it was not for sale. 

• Like 1
BrakeCoach
9 hours ago, Gunzel said:

Thanks @BrakeCoach is TheTrain in a shopping mall near some cinemas? I think I visited there in November last year. They had a H0 model of a Korail GT26CW-2 in the cabinet but it was not for sale. 

Yeah the cinema is in the electronic shopping mall. Its right next to Yongsan station.

• Like 1
disturbman

When I was there a while back, it was a very, very small shop.

It’s really too bad there doesn’t seem to be too much interest for model railroading in Korea. Some N RTR Korail models would be great.

Edited by disturbman
BrakeCoach
4 hours ago, disturbman said:

When I was there a while back, it was a very, very small shop.

It’s really too bad there doesn’t seem to be too much interest for model railroading in Korea. Some N RTR Korail models would be great.

It would indeed be nice to see Korean RTR models in N, though its a huge risk in the perspective of manufacturers to make those, because there isn't really a solid market for trains. This forces manufacturers to rack up their prices to at least make a profit off of it. The current HO RTR models go around $100-200 for coaches, and $1000+ for a diesel loco.

I think it also has to do with the fact that Korea is still technically at war, which makes Korean rail infrastructure a national security issue, so there are a lot of limitations to doing rail enthusiast stuff in general. I have heard stories where people filming train operations at the platforms were stopped by station staff. (I personally never had such an experience, besides it isn't always rail enthusiasts who take pictures of trains anyway)