Bonus Items in Kato Platforms

ATShinkansen

ATShinkansen

Has anyone else ever paid attention to the box flaps on the Kato 23-160 platform set?  (I’m guessing the single-sided set also has these.). Each box has two of these signs printed on the flaps that can be cut out, one on each end of the box.  They may be out of scale, but I’m still going to use them.  I haven’t been able to identify what this sign is and how to use it, though.

IMG_8489.thumb.jpeg.b2b985d9229c0ea94ac0fa4fd5886d51.jpegIMG_8490.thumb.jpeg.7bb665ad1068cfe8da327ec3d2b7d731.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
MeTheSwede

It's a stop sign. It indicates the exact position where the train driver should stop the train at the platform. There are many colour variations used with different train companies. Often they come with a number on them, to indicate different stopping positions for trains of different lenghts.

Here are some examples:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/停止位置目標

• Like 2

Yes I think they're both end of platform stopping limit markers in their current form. You could of course add a consist length number to the white diamond version.

Nice find and makes the markers a bit easier to see than the N gauge ones. It's something that Kato really didn't need to include but adds a lot of playability ideas for kids and even bigger kids. Ironically you'd really need the Tomix controller TCS power unit N-DU101-CL to do it justice and make it a bit more of a challenge.

Great drinking game idea with a countdown timer.