Modelling end of service 0 Series Shinkansen sets

22-141

The same seller has another 10-397 set on auction currently at £40. Ultimately, you could get a brand 8 coach set new version at full RRP for about £85+shipping+import duty so let your head rule. 

Yeah I saw that one but I wasn't keen on the 'Ambitious Japan' titles. 

Similarly when I was looking at 0 Series, another one I found that was in budget had the farewell 0 Series thing on the nose, but I wasn't too keen on that. 

In terms of non-standard liveries i'll only really be looking at Dr Yellow and the Type 500 EVA if I can ever get one cheap enough 

Best regards,

22-141 

The Tomix Evangelian ones come up occasionally, Kato not so much. The Kato version is technically incorrect as it was a just a repaint of their standard 500 Nozomi model. The Tomix one was a more accurate model of the Kodama. 

The Ambitious Japan logo on the Kato 700 was just a sticker on later releases, but not sure whether it was the same for this initial release. On the real trains it was only seen on trains between 2003 and 2005. 

As for Dr. Yellow, Kato have just released it again. In this case I think the Kato one is better than the Tomix. 

• Thanks 1

There's the Tomix 'First Car Museum' series that has the singular EVA 02 end car, but this was only applied in the museum I think and never ran like this?

Anyway, I can only find one of those and it's £90 just for the single car. Ouch. 

Best regards,

22-141

Edited by 22-141
SwallowAngel
7 minutes ago, 22-141 said:

but this was only applied in the museum

Correct, the Eva-02 livery was only ever applied onto 521-1 at the Kyoto Railway Museum (Sometime in the spring of 2023. not for too long though).

Afaik this was a promotion for the Shinkalion Series

• Like 1

Yeah isn't it from the same set that was in both the EVA 01 and Hello Kitty liveries? 

Best regards,

22-141

SwallowAngel

If I remember correctly 521-1 has worn the both Hello Kitty and Eva-01 liveries during its stay at Kyoto Railway Museum, but not during active service.

Wether it was a part of the sets that wore both liveries during service I don't know...

• Like 1

Ah fairs - I have found the first car EVA 02 version for £50, so I'm just deciding wether or not to pull the trigger. The cheapest I can find the whole EVA 01 set for is £440 - out of budget for now sadly. 

Best regards, 

22-141

The 0 Series has arrived ^^

All good apart from one tiiiny thing that the seller didn't tell me - at some point an attempt had been made to reassemble the pantograph on one of the trailing cars and they did a bad job. The main arms were fitted backwards and the assembly wasn't clicked together properly.

My first N gauge model and the first thing I have to fix is a pantograph - it's a nightmare but I almost have it back together properly 

Best regards,

22-141 

Interesting learning experience. One fixed pantograph

PXL_20240127_162650003.thumb.jpg.66a825f0f3b354fbc929f005604f31c1.jpg

Best regards,

22-141

disturbman

Pantograph popping is rather common, either in transport or some people just can’t manipulate them properly. But they are also relatively straightforward to put back together, though fiddly at times. At least you had the others to study.

How do you like your first Japanese N model?

@disturbman I love it - I placed it next to one of my 'OO' class 91's for a size comparison and given the size of the unit, the detail is very good. 

PXL_20240127_163243821.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.9ab637af22e12ec586610cdb8cfd03cf.jpg

Due to space limitations, I run my 'OO' HST's and 225's as 2+5 sets (1+5+DVT in the case of the 225) and each set takes up roughly half of the length of the layout. This Shinkansen 6 car set doesn't even take up half the width of it. It's almost a shame I'm so invested in 'OO' steam as I honestly feel that my 225's and HST's would be better as full length sets in N (I'm already eyeing up an N 373 Eurostar) 

The Pantograph was an odd one as the lower arms had been fitted upside down, stopping it from going into the rest position, it had been fitted the wrong way around on the bracket as it wasn't sitting level and worst of all there had been no attempt to clip the assembly together properly, but trial by fire and luckily nothing broke (I have a ton of spares for the Pantographs on my class 91's and they are a nightmare even in that scale) 

Best regards,

22-141 

disturbman
1 hour ago, 22-141 said:

It's almost a shame I'm so invested in 'OO' steam as I honestly feel that my 225's and HST's would be better as full length sets in N

You wouldn't be the first to down size or turn around a collection to reflect a change in interest.

SwallowAngel

Yep, I came from 00 Gauge steam (which I still have). However despite that I just don't have the space to run them at all. So for now they remain static(-ish) desk decorations...

I just have too much 'OO' to start from scratch with the British stuff. That, and British N Gauge Steam is imo, not great. I've helped out a few friends with N gauge exhibition layouts and the frequency of pony truck derailments and valve gear binding or just falling off was quite high. EMU's and DMU's though, very few issues that weren't caused by bad tracklaying. 

I'm quite happy keeping my Japanese stuff separate anyway, apart from maybe adding a Eurostar and TGV (I love that orange) ^^

Best regards,

22-141 

Quite a few nice looking and running Japanese steam to tempt you as well!

jeff

• Like 1