Second Hand Kato M250

Kotori

Hello,

I’m looking at a second-hand Kato M250 set, and I was wondering what I should be aware of when buying used models.  I would buy new, but I can’t seem to find the M250 for a price that isn’t ridiculous/north of US$350.

At that price it must be 8 or 16 car set?

The only think I'd worry about if it is a old or new version. Some differences like containers.

Edited by katoftw
  • cteno4 changed the title to Second Hand Kato M250

Second had stock can be all over the place depending on the previous owners. Really is trying to find out all you can from the seller about its running ability and pictures for condition. That being said I’ve generally had very good luck with second had stock following the above advice. I’ve found Japanese second hand sellers much more specific and generally harsher on their condition description than us sellers that generally don’t know as much about Japanese stock and tend to be a bit more lenient on condition.

For stuff out of stock/production you are sort of defaulted to the second hand market.

as Kato mentions exactly what set are Looking for? 8 or 16, old or new version of m250?

cheers,

jeff

@cteno4 It’s 10-227, the 8 car set.  I’m not sure if it’s the older or newer version.  I was able to find it on the hobby site SurugaYa.

You’d also have minimal chance to get the other 8 flats if you wanted to make it a full consist. There have been 4 releases overall.

10-227 is the original version, not a bad model but will really depend on the motor condition due to how well it’s been looked after. Due to its unusual design, I’m not sure it shares a chassis with other models so will be difficult to get parts. It’s a lot to pay for something that’s probably 20 years old and may have a filament bulb for head/tail lights due to its age and not the newest motor, although even older Kato motors are pretty good. Better to take the plunge on a newer model to get the best bang for your buck unless it’s a real bargain. 

The first release came as 8+8 car sets. (10-277, 10-278)

Second release (10-355, 10-356) came as 4+4 car sets but Kato didn’t release the other 8 cars at the time so it relied on locating an old 10-278. This is the one I have and took me about 6 years to find the add on, of course used.  

Third release (10-1418/19/20) came as a 4+4+8 set and lost the magnetic headmark and instead had Sagawa printed on the cab fronts . Maybe a few other subtle changes. 

Fourth Release 10-1721/22/23 had the same 4+4+8 sets but is the most up to date livery without JRF marks and using smaller containers with the newer livery change. 

21 hours ago, Kamome said:

You’d also have minimal chance to get the other 8 flats if you wanted to make it a full consist. There have been 4 releases overall.

10-227 is the original version, not a bad model but will really depend on the motor condition due to how well it’s been looked after. Due to its unusual design, I’m not sure it shares a chassis with other models so will be difficult to get parts. It’s a lot to pay for something that’s probably 20 years old and may have a filament bulb for head/tail lights due to its age and not the newest motor, although even older Kato motors are pretty good. Better to take the plunge on a newer model to get the best bang for your buck unless it’s a real bargain. 

The first release came as 8+8 car sets. (10-277, 10-278)

Second release (10-355, 10-356) came as 4+4 car sets but Kato didn’t release the other 8 cars at the time so it relied on locating an old 10-278. This is the one I have and took me about 6 years to find the add on, of course used.  

Third release (10-1418/19/20) came as a 4+4+8 set and lost the magnetic headmark and instead had Sagawa printed on the cab fronts . Maybe a few other subtle changes. 

Fourth Release 10-1721/22/23 had the same 4+4+8 sets but is the most up to date livery without JRF marks and using smaller containers with the newer livery change. 

I wound up with 10-1721 off eBay for about $140, brand new in the box.  Ironically I’ve been having issues with it.  It’s a pretty model for sure.

@Kamome I made a post about it in the “Train Doctor” category.  Basically, it runs rough, its lights flicker, and sometimes it will just freeze for no reason.  All this on a track with good wiring and good connections that is cleaned regularly.