KATO is like the Nintendo and Studio Ghibli of model railroading

Now that’s a very big stretch because obviously they’re different, one does model trains, one does video games, and one does movies. But in terms of how they’re view outside of Japan, they’re seem to be very popular in their respective communities.

KATO makes some very great models, and I’m sure if you go to every train show in the United States, you ether see vendors selling KATO products, or a booth from their U.S. subsidiary, KATO USA, I’m sure that both people of both countries are deeply influenced and inspired by KATO products hopefully.

Like Nintendo and Studio Ghibli, KATO is having their own theme park, and even having a steam locomotive operation, it’s an exciting year for KATO, I wonder what they’ll do next for more?

• Like 1

Not even a close comparison.

Nintendo is a massive global company that stands on its own.

Ghibli Studios and Kato are both niche companies in niche markets.

• Like 1
SL58654号

Well, they certainly have a guy who really loves trains at the reins of the company (Mr. Kato) and he's not unknown to greet fans far and wide at train events in Japan he has visited.
I myself might get the chance to meet him someday, as he sometimes visits Kumamoto and friends of mine have known him.

Furthermore, maybe I'm biased, but I think they make desirable models of many kinds and you get good quality for what you pay. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, katoftw said:

Not even a close comparison.

I think you missed his point.   Doesn't matter how big the company is -- in they're field or market they ARE big.  And have a passion.

• Like 1

Ha Rich, yes I did! Actually first time Lee Monico (Ttrak founder) brought him over to the layout as she happened to be at the show as well. He was surprised to see a big on the fly Unitrak layout and his comment was “feels like a Japanese layout!” So we took that as an honor! He is a very enthusiastic chap and very affable. 

another one of those Kato mothership vs katousa things was Mr Kato said we needed Unitrak brochures with our layout and we said sure we would be happy to pass them out. Took like 3 years pestering Katousa for brochures with no results before someone from Katousa walked by the layout said you should have Unitrak brochures here! We just rolled our eyes and accepted the box of brochures gratefully.

jeff

SwallowAngel

Actually just stumbled upon this website which seems to detail their progress (under the "Sekisui Main Line" tab). Seems they they steamed up one of their locos now...

In terms of 3rd party articles, the most recent one is by Tetsudo Hobidas form July 2023 (Others are "newer" but provide no additional info as far as I can see).

As for an opening date, we've only been given "Spring 2024" so we'll have to wait a couple of months until seeing it in action

• Like 1
6 hours ago, chadbag said:

I think you missed his point.   Doesn't matter how big the company is -- in they're field or market they ARE big.  And have a passion.

Is Kato big in their respective markets? I don't think so. Outside USA and Japan, they have very little market.

Toyota

Nissan

Baby Metal

Panasonic

Bridgestone

Hello Panda

Hello Panda and Baby Metal are probably niche in their respective markets. The others are BIG global players.

That's my point. Some just aren't comparable to others.

KATO is big in its markets.  It is huge in the model train world in Japan.  It is a leader in the US market (around here LHS have Kato before anything else).  They play in the European market.  I don't see how you can argue with that.  They are bigger in their market than Hello Panda and Baby Metal in their markets.  By a huge margin.

Read the .0 again.

• Like 1
SL58654号
18 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Actually met Mr Kato twice here in the US at train shows!

jeff

Ah, so he CAN speak English, can't he?
If I met face to face with him here in Japan I wonder if he would test me at my Japanese ability? 

ATShinkansen

I recently started comparing Kato to Toyota:  a Japanese company with a big presence in the American market with high quality products at decent prices.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2024 at 4:02 AM, katoftw said:

Nintendo is also extremely protective of their brand and is quick in sending their ninjas err... I mean lawyers after people/companies when they feel threatened.

The Ghibli comparison works better but in the end I don't like to compare model train makers with anything but other model train makers.

On 1/26/2024 at 1:49 AM, cteno4 said:

Actually met Mr Kato twice here in the US at train shows!

I've met him a couple of times at the Diorama Contest show here in Kyushu. He's a very nice chap. 2 of my local shops, both Kato stockists, were helping at the show, and I heard they were well looked after by Kato in general. Obviously they must have lost some sales with their respective shops being closed over said weekend but the one owner had a few birthday drinks with Kato and passed on a few nuggets of possible upcoming models. He kindly gave me and my boys a guest ticket for entry to the show.

I did get Mr Kato's business card on our first meeting and I later emailed him to thank him again for his time. There was plenty of press and other corporate guys wanting to talk to him so the fact he took the time to talk to a punter was great. He was also gracious enough to send me a reply.

On 1/26/2024 at 8:05 PM, SL58654号 said:

Ah, so he CAN speak English, can't he?

Mr Kato speaks very good English, way better than my Japanese on more intricate topics.

The chap in charge of product development also spoke excellent English

As for the initial comments, I think Kato have certainly done well for a comparatively small company compared to its main competitors. I've been pretty won over by a large portion of their products. I know some will be happy to point out the shortcomings of their track range, times when comparative models from others have been better or questioned why Kato has such a keen following. That's fine, each to their own. What you can't argue is with is the reach they have established across an international market unlike the main, and much larger, competitor.  They have found opportunity in areas that were somewhat lacking. I have heard it said that their introduction into the American market helped push models on from other manufacturers as their product always looked and ran well.  For me they have always found a good balance between price and quality. I also feel that the way their products are presented is also good. As example, I personally prefer their cases compared to equivalents and foam inserts seem to be custom made for the model in question rather than generic mass-produced one size fits all, which somewhat misses the mark on customer experience.  For me you get a sense that these are models designed for modellers by modellers whereas some items from the competition can leave you questioning design choices. I'm not putting down other manufacturers as there's some good product out there but the idea of making irreversible changes to remove Rapido couplers on brand new models, to essentially add further realism on a more expensive model that brings it up to the same level as Kato feels a bit cold. Don't get me wrong, what some in my view, fail on in N gauge, they make up with in droves with HO. 

I still wish Kato would produce more rolling stock variation in HO, grow both their N and HO track range to enable more intricate trackwork but generally what they do decide to produce is good. You always know what you're going to get with Kato, sometimes there are some happy surprises but in the worst case, zero disappointment, in my case. 

• Like 6
On 1/31/2024 at 8:47 AM, Suica said:

Nintendo is also extremely protective of their brand and is quick in sending their ninjas

Yes, funny that the character Kirby was named after their US defence lawyer in a case against Universal Pictures for use of the word Kong, as in King Kong, Donkey Kong. 

Water under the bridge as the Universal Studios resort now boasts a Nintendo, mostly Mario land and will soon open a Donkey Kong area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2