Tobu Line: Kinugawaonsen, Tobu-Nikko, Shimo-Imaichi

Grant_T

Hi all, I've now settled on the theme of the next layout (see title). I've always wanted to build an actual prototype and the Tobu line seems ideal. I've been to Nikko twice and love both the ancient and recent history of the place. The Tobu line itself has a good variety of stock to run, and these three stations provide an ideal arrangement for a growing modular layout and for interesting operational potential. (The JR line also provides further opportunities.) I'm going to be in no hurry with this one (unlike Hamamachi station) as I intend  it to be my "forever layout." I'm already well into planning.

I'm going to start with two modules, Kinugawaonsen Station and a staging yard (ultimately which will represent Tokyo), and go from there. Enough words, here's some of the action which made my mind up for me:

I've already promised myself a research trip at the end of the year. 🙂

Wish me luck.

• Like 6
Tony Galiani

Good Luck!  Tobu Railway to Nikko was our first outing on our first trip to Japan and our first ride was on the Revaty.  Return trip on a Spacia.  Really enjoyed the experience as well as our stay in Nikko.  Named one of our cats after the place!  Looks like an exciting project and looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 3

And here is the track plan for the Kinugawaonsen module. It is not exact but gives me all the functionality of the station.

• Like 2
MeTheSwede

There's some really nice variety of rolling stock at that station. I can totally see why you picked this prototype to work with.

I'm looking forward to follow your progress.

• Like 1

I think I'm actually going to start with the Shimo Imaichi module. It is the biggest and most complex of the stations, lends itself to a lot of operating potential, and is really the central module of the three stations. I will have to compress it though. Sometime this year when flights are cheap I might head up there for a week of research.

Grant_T

After showing my current layout a couple of months ago, and seeing how people responded to various aspects of the layout, and the practicalities of moving and displaying a layout, I have radically changed direction. I am thinking about two options. a) A long (5-6m?) sectional layout to show Shinkansens going full speed through a rural/peri-urban environment with a double track local line with station running beneath it, e.g., something you might see between Nagoya and Kyoto on the Tokaido line. b) An urban Shinkansen/local/metro scene within Tokyo where the Shinkansens are not yet running at full speed. The is would have tall buildings and a lot of inner city detail. Maybe 4m long in one section. Think of the are between Shimbashi Station and Hamamatsucho Station. Both would have fiddle yards on the back side of the layout and control from there too.

• Like 1
beakaboy
3 hours ago, Grant_T said:

After showing my current layout a couple of months ago, and seeing how people responded to various aspects of the layout, and the practicalities of moving and displaying a layout, I have radically changed direction. I am thinking about two options. a) A long (5-6m?) sectional layout to show Shinkansens going full speed through a rural/peri-urban environment with a double track local line with station running beneath it, e.g., something you might see between Nagoya and Kyoto on the Tokaido line. b) An urban Shinkansen/local/metro scene within Tokyo where the Shinkansens are not yet running at full speed. The is would have tall buildings and a lot of inner city detail. Maybe 4m long in one section. Think of the are between Shimbashi Station and Hamamatsucho Station. Both would have fiddle yards on the back side of the layout and control from there too.

great idea Grant. I have purchased a couple of modules of station area that Scott in Christchurch built a few years back, which i am planning to integrate into my 8 x 4 city layout with extra straight modules to connect them and provide a decent run. No reason why you couldn't build curved modules for home connection to straight modules and simply take the straight modules for show display. My only problem is getting the Christchurch modules which is going to involve a road trip at some stage. At least I can stop with relatives in Blenheim on the way down and back.