E7 Accident

Haven’t seen this posted here so thought I’d add it. 

E7 stopped yesterday as pantograph had been ripped off cracking a window and a few people went to hospital with 

Seems to be a possibility of a catenary or power cable coming loose and hanging down after some maintenance work. Pretty nasty occurrence. 

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20240124_06/

• Like 2

Some news networks have video on YouTube of an injured worker.  He was laying between the rails and another guy was pouring water on him to put out some small fire on his clothing.  I’d guess this was pretty serious.  It will be interesting to read what happened, both the initial problem with the broken pantograph (I don’t hear about this much in Japan) and the injury, if they ever publish that.  I was just looking around for info on that incident last year where they routed a Tokaido Line onto the Tokaido Freight bypass line, didn’t find anything new.

railsquid

The cable which holds the weights which tension the wires broke, the overhead wire came loose and got tangled up with the pantograph, and that was it for most of JRE's Shinkansen services for the rest of the day. Have been busy so not following this in detail.