Kato EF64-1000 Question Regarding Details.

bc6

Tonight I decided to add the details to my EF64-1000 and when I got to adding the GPS unit there were no holes to insert the GPS unit. My question are the GPS units included as an upgrade to locomotives as they were perhaps in real life. I added both GPS on my model because why not lol and I know it's not prototypical.

20240120_205534.jpg

Edited by bc6

Usually there is a depression inside the shell to use a location to drill thru for antennas or gps details.

jeff

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bc6 said:

My question are the GPS units included as an upgrade to locomotives as they were perhaps in real life.

Think these were included rather than applied as they weren’t originally on the locos. The real loco ones were added later so in theory the blue general blue or brown colour ones would’ve been without them before a point in history. This gives the modeller a choice as to what stage in its history they’d like to model it. 

In your case, I would imagine that the real ones may have had the GPS modules before they received this paint scheme (JRF milk carton) But as the manufacturer would require differing staff numbers to assemble, parts depending on livery, parts are included for user application. 

I would say it is good they are included however. Tomix EF66 air conditioners had to be a separately purchased item. 

As @cteno4 mentioned, there are indents on the underside of the shell to get correct positioning for drilling. This can sometimes require the internal cab detail to be removed if its roof equipment above this area. 

• Like 1
disturbman

Yes, it’s good practice to give a look to the manual before adding the detailing parts on a new loc or train. Even more if it requires drilling as not all holes use the same drill bit.