My small tram layout in progress

jhoops01

Still waiting for a turnout and a curve. Maybe this year? Anyway, work in progress. Scenery, people and lots of buses to add. I had this as part of my main layout, but decided to split off.

IMG_0010.jpeg

• Like 9
brill27mcb

Nice little tram layout! Good idea to split it off - I am a firm believer that trams can and should be the focus of a layout themselves, not just an accessory or gimmick added to a main line railroad layout. The built-up urban effect is also very good. That's the best use of Unitram.

Rich K.

Thanks! Dumb question. Do trams run really slow? I’ve cleaned the track and wheels, but they’re slow, even at full throttle. 

Joe

MeTheSwede

The trams are geared for lower running speeds, to allow for smoother running at low speed.

Thanks for sharing the photo. I find the layout already very inspirational in this state of progress. I think the overall shape with the three city blocks of high-rise buildings works very well at getting the big city effect, without having to go overboard with the layout sizewise.

I think with some people, road vehicles and a backdrop (which doesn't have to be anything more advanced than a skyblue board) it should be possible to rather quickly get to a point where the layout looks a lot more "finished".

brill27mcb

They should not run terribly slow, just reasonably slow. Looks like yours are all the Kato Portram/Centram and Hiroshima LEX designs, judging by the fact that they have interior details.

From your photo, I've drawn an Anyrail plan of what I think you intend to be your final track design. You will have a few plate overlap areas at the zig-zag curves in the center of the layout do deal with, but I see you have been making pieces to fill in areas.

UnitramLayoutjnsforum.comjhoops01.thumb.jpg.9ee14f118b808a46fc1d6ebf841dba80.jpg

I like the use of the Kato park to fill that space in the middle. Your gray color seems to be a perfect match for Kato's street color. Do you remember the brand and color name that you used?

Rich K.

10 hours ago, MeTheSwede said:

I think with some people, road vehicles and a backdrop (which doesn't have to be anything more advanced than a skyblue board) it should be possible to rather quickly get to a point where the layout looks a lot more "finished".

I’ve got some vehicles to add, just need people. I also have to pickup a piece of Masonite for the backdrop. Thanks for the comments.

@brill27mcb Thanks for the anyrail. That’s the plan. I have some black Sinatra board that I use to fill in the gaps. The paint is Apple Barrel 2620e Pewter Grey. I got it at Michael’s. 

Joe

Update: Added a backdrop, but not happy with the color. Cut some plates to fill in. Put some trim Masonite around the front and side.

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

• Like 6

I finally located my Kato backdrop and added it temporarily for some depth and a better color sky. 

• Like 1

Nice! coming along getting built up. Backdrops are really tricky, it’s a part of the hobby where my brain does not work so well.

if you want some cheap cars to just fill in for now these 1/150 architecture model cars are decent, not Tomytec quality or detail but only like 11 cents each!

jeff

MeTheSwede

This is a lot of progress in just one week!

Maybe cutting out the buildings from the Kato backdrop and attaching them to the backdrop board would work?

Could I ask what the off-set is at the S bends in the middle as I’m thinking of putting just one in at the “front” and keeping the “back” side straight.

id like to think it’ll be 62mm, enabling a short straight to be put in the wider end but I’m not 100% sure and would have to do the same as this layout if my original idea doesn’t work. 
thanks

brill27mcb

Looks like we're not that lucky. Both the length and offset of the S-bend "zig-zag" are irregular:

UnitramZig-ZagCurveOffsets.thumb.jpg.b8bad1837d52da62573eed726342a2ba.jpg

The grid lines in the drawing are spaced at 62 mm.

Rich K

That’s a shame. So it seems that every twist or turn has to be matched exactly although the S-bends won’t have to be opposite each other as long as their is one on each “side” of the layout. 

bill937ca

That is the geometry of Unitram. If those curves didn't expand you could do so much more.