Ome Rail Museum closed until 2025

Yugamu Tsuki

Yugamu Tsuki

Looks like the Ome Rail museum is closed for refurbishment. 

https://www.ejrcf.or.jp/ome/

I was going to go visit it in November but I guess this frees up a day so I can go to the G1 Japan Cup at the Tokyo Racecourse.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

After 31st of August.

edit// Of 2023. haha

Didn't know this park existed. Probably wouldn't have made it to Tokyo the next trip and the new rail pass prices making long-long distance travel cost prohibitive.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
railsquid

Linked PDF gives "2025 年度末" as the planned end date, with "年度" being what the English language newspapers translate as "fiscal 2025", i.e. until the end of March 2026.

Annoying as I had plans to cycle there one day when the weather is a little warmer. Ah well.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, katoftw said:

Didn't know this park existed.

I visited Ome Railway Park in May 2016 and was pleasantly surprised by their SL collection.  I took some photos, not enough of course (but see my profile photo), wandered around, climbed in cabs and generally had a good time on a very sunny day.  My long suffering wife called time and we made our way down the hill to catch the train back to Tokyo.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, SL-san said:

I visited Ome Railway Park in May 2016 and was pleasantly surprised by their SL collection.  

Besides 110, 5540, 2221, 9608, 8620, C51 5, C11 1, D51 452, ED16 1 and a Series 0 Shinkansen EMU, they displayed E10 2 one of the last steam locomotives manufactured in Japan.

Graeme

• Like 2
Yugamu Tsuki

Tricky tricky fiscal year numbering... (they got me with the dates for the last run of the SL Hitoyoshi as well)

I was looking forward to seeing the 8620 first and foremost but this place has always caught my eye due to the steam collection. I just wish it wasn't so remote of a location though there looks to be a few retro Showa museums nearby I would have liked to visit as well. Guess I need to start planning for 2 trips out now lol

• Like 1
SL58654号

Good to know they're taking care of it. I once visited there during my attendance at university in Japan, since I'd learned about it from Naotaka Hirota's Steam Locomotives of Japan. A lot of fun and enjoyment. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up @Yugamu Tsuki.  Actually I think this bodes well for my never-quite-possible Japanese vacation.  As I wanted to go here, and now I can't until March 2026 or so, I predict I'll get my chance sometime during that period 🚅

Replacing the building is one of the projects according to the pdf.  This will probably turn out very well considering it's JR East, but also I like the JNR station vibe of the current structure.

• Like 2

I went many years ago, and it was a good visit. Now I have an excuse to go again!

It's also near a computer museum, for people who are into that. It too is currently closed for refurbishment: https://scitech.or.jp/museum/

@katoftw man-maths suggests that clearly the way to mitigate the rather high cost of a Japan Rail Pass is to simply do more long distance travel so that it works out cheaper 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1