Tomix 91037 + 91017

ThomTyler

ThomTyler

Hi guys,

i am in the UK so Tomix is not readily available (not sure why someone doesn’t distribute it in the UK!)

I want to utilise both of these sets alongside each other. Can someone tell me if this is possible and if so, which parts I will need to connect them?

i’d like to model it with a 2 track mainline as well, which i will separate with a fence.

so like this.

91037—————

91017—————

mainline track ————-

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,

thom

Thom,

Tomix doesn’t really distribute outside of Japan. They had a deal with Walthers here for a bit a few years back but it’s all but disappeared. It’s readily available from Japan through a number of reliable sources and it was actually cheaper to buy it and Japan  and ship it than purchase at the Walthers us distribution price and shipping within the us.

not exactly sure what you are asking on connecting them. Do you mean spacing needed between mainline tracks, yard tracks, and engine shed? I’m thinking you will need a bit extra spacing between the three items than regular Tomix track spacing at 37mm. Visually they probably need some separation as well. You would do this in how you do the yard ladder of points. Do you have any track layout programs? These can let you work out how you want it it.

jeff

Download free Anyrail trial and have a play with the Tomix fine track pieces. The trial demo you can use up to 50 track pieces. This will also give you a parts list for your design. Tomix website as well as their catalogue are good references for track geometry, especially as chrome will translate it all for you. 

Points connected to make up a yard ladder will take up considerable space. Tomix track can be produce more intricate track work in a shorter space. Kato is obviously more readily available but has very limited components by comparison.

Are you planning to make a set up on the floor or a layout? If it’s the latter, Peco may be a better way to go as it looks better than set-track with road bed, especially points and there’s much easier ways to generate the correct fixed Tomix spacing with flex track. Can’t remember what code track Tomix uses but you could still utilise Peco butted up to your chosen yard sets. 

Both 91016 (91017 is it's extension) and 91036 (91037 is it's extension) have special track spacing between stone of the rails. The base sets include a specially crafted turnout layouts that branch exactly into the spacings, and most custom changes would make the geometry not working anymore. Tomix recommends to just put them into angled position to the main branch and also to each other:

IMG_3987.thumb.jpeg.5a84f4dfafc174a3569e9a2d51f9c414.jpeg

If you want to put them side by side parallel to a mainline, the turnout ladder needed would not only be very long, but also would not match some of the track spacings provided. Making it work as designed would require even longer ladder. 

• Like 1
ThomTyler
8 hours ago, katem said:

Both 91016 (91017 is it's extension) and 91036 (91037 is it's extension) have special track spacing between stone of the rails. The base sets include a specially crafted turnout layouts that branch exactly into the spacings, and most custom changes would make the geometry not working anymore. Tomix recommends to just put them into angled position to the main branch and also to each other:

IMG_3987.thumb.jpeg.5a84f4dfafc174a3569e9a2d51f9c414.jpeg

If you want to put them side by side parallel to a mainline, the turnout ladder needed would not only be very long, but also would not match some of the track spacings provided. Making it work as designed would require even longer ladder. 

hi,

thank you for this.. i was hoping to have them side by side but maybe go into 2-3 lines rather than one to avoid a turnout ladder and maybe have a double cross over too.

something like this, but even in this example they are not connected.IMG_2137.thumb.png.ad5e8e77c79d3a2212eb0099a5aa04a1.png

ThomTyler

That is what i was trying to work out - which bits i’d need to do it. I do not have a laptop with the software.

I've changed the number of tracks from 10 in your picture to 9 (91017 and 91037 combined), otherwise kept the spacing and as much turnouts as possible, and this turned out. Not that bad, it does not take much space given the ladder opens to one side only.

image.thumb.png.142211be30d5467dafd84640b802970d.png

AnyRail file

Adding the 10th track would be cumbersome but should still work somehow… However the top half is just putting tracks down in a program until it somehow fits rather than original Tomix geometry.

image.thumb.png.acb7a3ed41a18631dd8d5932344fe33f.png

AnyRail file

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very easy to measure from the track lengths. as pictured It’s 5x280mm or 140cm long or just up to the point (minus a 140 on the left) 126cm. of course you can extend the yard ladder if you want.

Finger measurement about 29cm across the tracks.

jeff

• Thanks 1
ThomTyler

Thank you everyone for all the help so far.

so beyond the sets I mentioned + 2 expansions of each, can you tell me what i will need to buy individually to achieve it? I was looking at Plazajapan - they seem to be the best with shipping to the UK and the site is default in English!

Again - i appreciate all the assistance so thank you very much!

Thom,

plan is there, pretty easy for you to come up with a list of what you will need outside the yard sets to make this all so. It will do you some good to work on figuring this out in learning more about the track and planning.

jeff

• Thanks 1