Hakodate to Aomori on a JR Freight train

Sacto1985

Sankei news just posted a very interesting zenmen tenbō video of a trip from Hakodate to Aomori from the cab of an JR Freight EH800 locomotive:

Though probably not completely uncut, it's very interesting because it's the first time I've seen a zenmen tenbō video like this since 2015. They even caption when the locomotive has to switch from 20,000 V 50 Hz AC to 25,000 V 50 Hz AC overhead power just north of Kikonai Station on the Hokkaido side and switching back just south of Shin Naka-Oguni Signal Station on the Honshu side. There's also footage of the freight train using the rarely-seen bypass track near JR East Aomori Station just before the train terminates at the JR Freight yard in Aomori.

(NOTE: because this was posted by a Japanese news media outlet, I can't guarantee it will stay up on YouTube for more than a few weeks.)

• Like 4
Tony Galiani

Long video!  I will confess to fast forwarding through parts of it but it was neat to see the locations and the train meets.  I liked seeing the South Hokkaido DMUs - I have a model of the maroon one and had forgotten that they also ran some DMUs without the Mount Hakodate paint scheme.  And that I have that one as well.  That combination - one in the newer scheme and one in the overall orange copy will make an appearance on my T-trak module when I get it done.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 1