N-scale rolling stock that resembles the New York or Toronto or Hong Kong subway

tjtrain8

Hello everyone, I am beginning to build my collection of N-scale tracks and rolling stock. I spend a lot of time in North America and Hong Kong and would love rolling stock that resembles the New York MTA or Toronto or Hong Kong subway. I don't think any trains for those cities have been made. Are there any N-scale trains from Japan that are sufficiently similar in build for me to begin to work with? Thanks!!

Different city, but for subway running, Bachmann makes a PCC trolley for the Boston MBTA.  These ran on the Green Line (a lot of which is underground) since 1937 until they were retired in 1986.  PCCs are still in continuous operation on the Ashmont-Mattapan surface section of the Red LIne.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, tjtrain8 said:

Hello everyone, I am beginning to build my collection of N-scale tracks and rolling stock. I spend a lot of time in North America and Hong Kong and would love rolling stock that resembles the New York MTA or Toronto or Hong Kong subway. I don't think any trains for those cities have been made. Are there any N-scale trains from Japan that are sufficiently similar in build for me to begin to work with? Thanks!!

If you're willing on compromise, for Hong Kong there are a handful of toy-like die-cast models of various MTR trains, all in an "approximate" N-scale.

They're (or were) generally sold domestically in Hong Kong, but from time to time, something pops up on Ebay (here for instance) or elsewhere on other websites.

Just be wary that there are similar models that are far more commonly available, and as such pop up far more often - these are however not N-scale, but rather 1:120 - you can easily tell wich is wich is that the N-scale ones are a solid lump of metal (with no interiors) and are "full lenght" (with all five doors), while the 1:120 scale ones have windows and interior fittings, but are a "shortened" version (3/5 of the actual thing) with only three doors.

For New York, there are likewise no ready-to-run models, unless you want to wait years to find (and spend a fortune on) the nigh-impossible to find Images Replicas brass models (R32 and R46).

However, there are a few websites that sell some kits - Island Modelworks sells boyshells for the R12, R142A and R160s designed to fit on Tomytec powered chassis (TM05, TM019, TM12R respectively).

In a similar vein, on Shapeways you can find bodyshells for both Hong Kong MTR and NYC Subway trains.

Otherwise, going with "unmodified" Japanese trains can work as well.

For New York, a number of 18m-bodyshell third-rail models could pass off for an "A Division" (IRT numbered lines) train, such as the Marunouchi Line 300, 400 and 500 Series, wich could pass for "Redbird" subway cars (in reality these were actually based on NYC's R14s) or a Ginza Line 2000 Series.

Likewise, the Osaka Municipal Subway 30 Series (especially in the 1970 all-over stainless steel livery) or the Hibiya Line 3000 Series could also be a great option.

However, your best option overall could be Tokyu's 7000 Series as it can effortlessly pass for a generic "1960s stainless steel US subway" (these were actually based on the Budd M2s for Philadelphia's Market-Frankfort Line) - of course, after removing the pantographs.

For Hong Kong instead, it gets trickier as MTR trains are (to me atleast) far more distinctive and thus harder to "disguise" than NYC subway stuff. The best match i could find is the Shizuoka Railway A3000 Series in the unpainted stainless steel version, but even that one is pretty far from reality...

• Like 4

Thanks for your replies!  I'm definitely going to check out TTC anniversary train. If I can't wait, I might put a pre-order in for the HO model. I also lived a number of years in Boston, so I might expand my collection to include the MBTA.

I was just in HK, and bought a few of the 1:120 MTR trains for display purposes, including the original 1979 train. I'll have to look for the approx. N-scale ones next time (https://estore.mtr.com.hk/en/products/mtr-classic-passenger-train1979-2001). 

I am not sure if I am there yet to paint or add livery to the MTA or MTR bodyshells. However, I love the look of the 7000 series and will try to hunt it down. It doesn't seem to be easily available at my local store, but I'll try to do a bit more digging...

Thanks again for your help!

• Like 1